Mission Complete

A/N: I've had to change two chapters. Hope you guys got to read "The Pull" and the edited "Carson" chapters.

CARSON

All five of his teammates were sitting around the wooden roundtable. It was supposed to be a quick meeting where they shared their intel on their designated patrol areas.

"We've got the witch" Zoya smacked the A4 picture at the centre of the table. Much higher doses of smugness and triumph radiating from her attitude than usual.

'Here comes the "I'm better than you" speech again' Carson thought, exasperatedly closing his eyes for a second. 

"While some people here have been busy wagging their tails at pretty females..." Zoya stared at Carson for effect. He gave her a warning glare and she rolled her eyes "Jo and I have not only identified the witch, we've been tracking the piece of shit for the last 24 hours."

The curly haired she-wolf confidently turned her chair around before sitting straddling it "It's a Leken clan's witch. The perverted scumbag's got an orgy going on in a residence three miles east from here. We've detected the scents of at least 3 wolves, 2 mermaids and 5 young humans in his den."

Carson wasn't surprised by the information at all. Witches were depraved creatures. Them, indulging themselves in carnal pleasures, getting excessively inebriated, hurting vulnerable humans for fun and cursing/killing whoever got in their way wasn't exactly newsworthy material anymore. "So you're saying you've confirmed the witch is alone in Pitterdam Port. Have you done some background digging? What's the witch's story and position in their clan? Would anyone come after us?"

Zoya sneered and crossed her arms over the back of her chair "Got that covered too, big guy. Doing a half-arsed job may be your style, but it's definitely not mine."

He glared at her. Boy, was she still pissed for losing first rank at the academy to him. He used to enjoy seeing her all riled up and still consider him a rival all this time later. But lately she was just getting on his nerves. He made a mental note to talk it out with her later.

It's Jo who answered Carson's questions. He was also a werewolf "Yes, HQ contacted our spy in Leken. They've been notified that the witch is a newbie palace guard. He's on holiday in Pitterdam Port right now. Clearly enjoying his time off. He doesn't have noble blood or a mate. It's safe to say no one's coming after us. Either way, HQ is sending us a Cannitch to clear our tracks."

Carson curled up his lip at the mention of a Cannitch. He hated working with witches. A Cannitch was a half-breed: half witch and and half human or half another supernatural. The word Cannitch was the combination of cannibal and witch, used to describe the bastard half-witch children that were abandoned by their clans and secretly raised by The Organisation to eliminate members of their own species.

"So when do we strike?" asked Kilani, the mermaid sitting on Carson's right. She was filing her nails, sitting cross legged in her chair, looking like the epitome of boredom itself.

Carson massaged the bridge of his nose.

"At dawn babe" Zoya told Kilani with a flirty smirk.

"HQ wants us to wait until the Cannitch gets here" Jo continued to explain "Unless the witch's departure from this town is imminent, in which case we can use our professional judgement to decide the best course of action. But that won't be necessary given the witch's inebriated state. We can proceed as planned."

A wicked smile spread across Zoya's face "For now we'll divide ourselves in pairs and start marking the enemy's den. Jo's with me. Ivan with Carson. Kilani with Heze. Get ready for the witch-hunt." 

At the thought of the hunt, they all felt their adrenaline kicking in. Hunting was always the best part of their missions, the beasts inside them loved the thrill of it.

Ivan passed Carson a hand gun and ammunition as they all geared up. Ivan was a centaur shapeshifter. The guy was a good soldier and also a really impressive hacker.

Heze started wriggling his eyebrows at Kilani as he flexed his muscles while strapping in the harness with knives and ammunition around his chest. The mermaid regarded him with a blank face, then proceeded to ignore the giant eagle-shifter altogether as she put her hair up in a ponytail.

Their group split up and made their ways to the witch's den, which was in the opposite direction of the café where Nelofer worked. That fact reduced a little bit of Carson's anxiety regarding her safety.

Ivan talked about the game he would attend with his brothers after the mission, while circling their assigned perimeter around the beach property. Carson couldn't be bothered to keep the useless and boring conversation going, but he nodded and went along for the major part anyways. He just really wanted the mission to be over so he could go see his mate again.

When the sun started rising on the horizon, Carson got out of the shadows of the thick canopy and lead his team into the large house that reeked of witch, blood, drugs and sex.

It was over before it even began. The witch was drunk and taken aback by the surprise attack. He used his magic to trap them and fight them but his aim was just too bad. None of his teammates got hurt and soon as they burned the witch.

As the witch burned in their makeshift bonfire on sand, Carson was on the phone with HQ "Yes, it's done. The body has been disposed of as protocol."

He kept an eye on the Cannitch while he reported the success of the mission. His hand on the gun hooked under his waistband, just in case. The half-witch was wiping the memories of the victims before his teammates loaded them into the truck to drop them off at their homes. The abused humans and supernaturals would wake up and never know they'd lived through a nightmare.

"I will have Zoya and Jo return the Cannitch to the training grounds before the end of the day" he finished the call with the higher-ups.

By the time everything was wrapped up, it was already evening. Everyone had packed up their bags and continued on their business, except for Carson.

He stood in front of Riri's café ten minutes later. But a different girl was working Nelofer's shift. 

He ordered the usual and offered 'Cynthia' as friendly of a smile as he could muster "Hi, I'm a regular here. Usually your colleague Nelofer works on Wednesdays. Is she not well?"

Cynthia, like all humans, looked uncomfortable in his presence "Uhh, Nelofer? Oh, yeah... She hasn't been to work since Saturday. She's been sick for the past four days, I think."

That made his heart drop to the floor. His wolf growled menacingly and uneasily paced in his head. She was sick? How sick?