Truth

After Dinner, Violetta and I sat on the sofa, just soaking in our surroundings for the last time in who knows how long. Violetta sat with her phone in her hand anxiously, as she was waiting for Leon to call, she'd text him to say what was going on.

After a while she spoke.

"I'm going to call him."

I sighed, "Violetta, Leon could be very busy and I understand you want to talk with him but it might not be possible. When Maria-"

She cut me off and as the phone rang, she put it on speaker.

"Not Leon, Angie."

The phone sprung to life with his voice then.

"Violetta!"

Violetta smiled weakly, "Hi Dad."

German sounded happy, "How are you? Everything good?"

"Dad don't act like everything's fine okay. We know they aren't." said Violetta frustrated.

"I'm sorry Vilu. I just-" he paused, "What did you want to speak about."

Violetta sighed, "Well you told Angie to take care of me."

"Yes," replied German, "I mean I know you are old enough to be on your own, I just thou-"

She cut him off, "I don't care what you thought. The point is if Angie's taking care of me, I'm going to move in with her."

"Well she could move into our house again, I mean that's what I expecte-"

Violetta was getting angry so cut him off again, "No, no she can't. This house is now half owned by your wife who thanks to you is not exactly best friends with either of us."

I heard German sigh, "I'm sorry, Vilu. So is Angie getting an apartment nearby?"

"No." said Violetta, matter-of-factly, "I'm going to live with her in France."

Silence.

German didn't reply.

"You gonna say something?" Prompted Violetta, who was very annoyed.

I could hear German clear his throat.

"Why France? Why not stay?"

Violetta sighed, "I won't make Angie leave her life for me Dad. You've messed up but that won't impact her, I won't allow it to anymore than it unfortunately has."

German sighed, "Is Angie there Vilu?"

Violetta glanced at me and I nodded.

"Yes."

I could hear German's breath through the phone, "Can she hear me?"

Violetta glanced at me and I held my breath. I didn't know what to say.

Violetta answered, "I don't know, you're on speaker but she's got her earphones in on the other end of the table."

Lies. She was feeding him lies.

"Take me off speaker." he said.

Violetta looked to me again and I shook my head.

"It's off." she said, pretending for me.

"Well," says German, "You have to promise this won't get back to her Violetta. Promise."

Violetta faltered. Now she was being asked to break a promise. Then her eyes lit up.

"I promise I will not tell her Dad." she replied.

I smiled, cheeky. She won't tell me, because German will.

"Violetta," started German, "The engagement ring Annalise has. I brought it for Angie."

My heart got trapped in my throat. Violetta gasped.

"I know. I know. I was dating Annalise though, so when she walked in and saw me staring at the white gold band she thought it was for her. I didn't propose like she said, she, she just assumed it was for her and said yes to a question I never asked."

Violetta was shoked, as was I.

"How come you never admitted the truth?" she asked.

I heard a sigh, "I don't know. Yet now she's walking around with the Roberto Jewl Ring I'd got for Angie. It's Angie's dream ring and- and I blew it."

"Why are you telling me this?" asked Violetta.

"I'm telling you this, so you know that I'm going to sort everything out. Absolutely everything. Including that I lost Angie."