Chapter 2

You and Jaskier were back to the small village much later than you expected. The walk back wasn't long, but the two of you had lost track of time training and, to your disapproval, sitting around. In the end, you let it happen because Jaskier needed breaks; in reality, you enjoyed sitting with Jaskier and talking about who knows what — but you wouldn't admit that. Well, you didn't have to, because Jaskier teased you about it any chance he could. Either way, it was relatively late when you arrived at the inn, the two of you nearly breathless from carrying all of your supplies.

Of course, that didn't stop Jaskier from talking.

"Well, I think it should be obvious that the groin area is off-limits."

"Of course." You pushed through the door to the inn, only half listening. The two of you didn't make it halfway through the main floor before a voice sounded beside you.

"Hey, you."

You practically felt the hair on your neck stand up, fearing the worst. Did someone find out what happened at the guild? Was someone there to kill you? To finish the job that you and the guild left behind?

All these questions fumbled in your brain as you turned towards the owner of the inn, who stood tall behind the bar.

You walked over, feeling Jaskier just behind you, "Is something wrong?"

The owner was barely phased by the tone of your voice, "You could call it that." He flung his towel over his shoulder, "Your room. I had to give it to someone else."

Jaskier stepped out from beside you, "What? Who?"

"Someone who was willing to pay the normal price."

You groaned, "You couldn't have given us a warning?"

"Maybe a day before you kicked us out onto the street?"

"Hold your horses. I'm not kicking you out, I moved you to another room." You and Jaskier deflated as the owner fumbled in his pocket, "Here's the key. This room's actually worth the price you're paying."

Jaskier took the key in his free hand, "Great. Fantastic. Thank you, really."

As you and Jaskier made your way to your new room, your mind wandered to Geralt. You hoped he would be getting back soon. After the three of you left Novigrad, he went off to do some jobs and earn some more coin, leaving you and Jaskier to hole up in this village. You would go off to do jobs as well if it weren't for Jaskier; knowing him, he'd just want to come along, and you couldn't afford him getting hurt. So, you relied on him playing his music for the townsfolk and hoped it would be enough to get you by. It was, but it came with some sacrifices. Unless he got a big gig soon, the two of you might have to camp in the woods and wait for Geralt.

Jaskier hummed pleasantly as he opened the door to your new room, "This isn't so bad."

You peeked over his shoulder with a nod — it really wasn't. It was almost identical to the last one, just smaller. There was a table, dresser, same window view, and it was even on the same floor as before. As you dropped all of the equipment you were holding, you noticed one problem.

"I'll take the floor," you said before you could stop yourself. Jaskier frowned, letting his eyes fall on the one bed in the room.

"Nonsense."

You clicked your tongue, "Well, you aren't sleeping on the floor."

"Neither are you."

Your eyes narrowed at the bard in front of you, "Jaskier."