Chapter 9

The wind whipped past your cheeks as you held onto Buttercup's reigns. Jaskier shouted over the sound of hooves on the dirt paths, giving you directions to the monster nest. You would be lying if you said your heart wasn't bursting out of your chest — even though you didn't know anything about this kid, you didn't want anything to happen to her. Your mind couldn't help but think back to Lilla, the little girl the three of you had saved not long ago. With that thought, you held the reigns tighter, leaning forward in hopes that you would get there before the girl did.

"Shit." You grunted, leaning back slightly and lessening the grip on the reigns. Just ahead, a horse was standing idly next to a beaten off path.

As you slid off Buttercup's saddle, you grabbed one of the swords from the extra sheath attached to her side. Ever since training Jaskier, you had begun liking swords as your primary weapon; though knives would always be your favorite, they weren't very practical when it came to fighting monsters.

You watched Jaskier land with a soft thump on the ground, adrenaline rising in your system. "Did you get the girl's name?"

Jaskier huffed beside you, nodding as Geralt finally caught up, "Theodora."

You turned to Geralt as he unsheathed his silver sword and dismounted Roach. "Geralt, what's the plan?"

His golden eyes met your own with a strong gaze, "Save the girl."

"Good enough for me." You nodded, ready to head off after the young girl. The sound of another sword being unsheathed made you stop in your tracks. When you turned to Jaskier, he was standing beside Buttercup, now holding the extra sword you kept in your sheaths. From behind you, Geralt was already getting a head start down the dirt path.

With a huff, you walked back to Jaskier. "Jaskier, what are you doing?"

"I'm coming with you," he said simply, inspecting the sword in his hand.

"Jaskier—"

His stern look took you aback. "There's no time to argue. I'm coming."

You opened your mouth, but quickly slammed it shut. No matter what you would say, he was right. You had no authority over him, no matter how much you didn't want him to get hurt.

You looked at the sword in his hand, which was far more comfortable in his grip now compared to the first time you trained with him. Without another word, you turned back towards Geralt and followed him into the woods, pushing down the feeling in your gut that rose at the sight of Jaskier's determined gaze.

The three of you made your way through the thick forest, you and Jaskier following behind Geralt as he used his witcher senses. It didn't take long for you to veer off the path, heading deeper into the woods and looking for any sign of the girl.

Suddenly, Geralt stopped. "Up ahead. Endrega den." He grunted, tilting his head towards what looked like a large rock.

"Fucker!" The three of you whipped your heads toward each other, eyes widening at the curse that none of you uttered. Within a split second, you broke into a run.

Just behind the large rock — which you now realized was a small cave —, a young girl stood facing a creature you had never come across before. It was a large insect with scorpion-like features, including a spiky tail hung high over its head.

The girl slashed forward, her sword making contact with the creature's front. It jumped back, hissing as its claw-like feet moved it backward.

You were about to rush forward when you noticed the absence of the bard beside you. You had to push aside the fear that rose in your throat, especially when the creatures' hissing grew louder.