Chapter 10

The fire crackled gently in the cave, its embers floating up until they disappeared in the darkness. The four of you sat around the fire, Theodora aimlessly throwing in stick after stick to keep it going. She was quiet now that you were all sitting in the nighttime, and you wondered what was going through her head.

Your thoughts were interrupted by Jaskier's low voice next to you. "I cannot be-lieve this kid just willingly came to a monster's nest."

You looked over at Theodora, making sure she couldn't hear you. When she didn't make any sort of comment, you leaned into Jaskier's side to lowly whisper, "At least she's safe."

"Yeah, after she threw herself into danger."

You raised your eyebrows, slight amusement crossing your features. Jaskier pouted at the fire in front of you, his brows furrowed in irritation. "Why are you so on edge? She's just a kid."

He turned to you with a sigh, "Exactly."

It was then that you realized Jaskier was, in the simplest terms, worried. Obviously, you all were — having to go find a kid at a monster's nest wasn't something you wanted to do every day, much less not knowing what you would find when you got there. Though Theodora was pretty well trained, she was still young. Digging a grave was hard enough, but a small grave was, well, awful.

This worry wasn't unfamiliar with Jaskier — you remembered how he acted with Lilla, the little girl you all saved from bandits not long ago. Theodora was completely different, of course; where Lilla practically latched onto you and Jaskier, Theodora made sure to stay several feet away — and brandish her sword while doing it. Perhaps that was why he worried so much: people who held a strong exterior often were much weaker inside.

You huffed, pulling one of your knives out and tracing the edge delicately with your finger, "Kids do stupid things. I'd've done the same."

Within a millisecond, Jaskier's attention shifted, his worry turning to curiosity. "Oh, do tell."

You shifted uncomfortably under his strong gaze. "What is there to tell?"

Jaskier's guffaw had now gained the attention of both Geralt and Theodora. You glared at him for making a big show, but still, you smirked. He placed himself purposefully on the ground just slightly in front of you, his eyes sparkling despite the darkness.

"You cannot tell me as a trained killer and adventurer, you have no stories of rebellious youth."

"You're an assassin?" Theodora's emphasis on the word 'assassin' threw you off.

You blinked, shaking off the feeling while straightening your posture. Pointedly ignoring Theodora's question, you spoke, "Okay. What kind of story would you like to hear?"

"Something wreaking of blood, sweat, and action." Jaskier waved his hand in the air. "So...a bedtime story for young Theodora will do."

"That's Theo to you."

"Okay." You took a deep breath in, ignoring the way Theo glared at Jaskier's back while you searched your memories for a good story. You smiled when the perfect one came to mind. "I was around thirteen, I think. It was winter, so me and my uncle were staying in the city to try and scrounge up some work. We moved around a lot otherwise, but he wanted to make his mark on the guilds there."

You shuddered at the memory, Rauf's many dealings running through your mind. You quickly pushed them away, instead remembering someone else from your recent past. "My friend — Joneta, who I only saw once in a while — she was in the same city as us. Whenever we were together, it was inevitable that we'd get into trouble. Stealing, pranks, mixes of the sort. But nothing that I'd do now, of course." You looked pointedly at Theo, who rolled her eyes.