Chapter 4

This was taking way too long.

When you first thought to look through Rauf's seemingly countless journals, notes, archive books, and who knew what else, you thought you could fly through them and possibly get your answers in the first week of research.

Clearly, that was not the case.

It was day twelve thousand and who the fuck knows, and you still had no leads of where your mother was. Let's just say Rauf wasn't one to make typical journal entries. They were all cryptic, or strictly professional. You wished he would take after a poet and write every little feeling down, that way this process would be easier on you and everyone around you.

'Everyone around you' being Jaskier.

"Gods be fucking damned!"

Jaskier blinked at your hunched over figure by the window of your room, having just walked in from the tavern below. "Nice to see you too."

You threw the current notebook you were reading on the floor with a little more force than necessary. "This is pointless."

"Now, I wouldn't go that far." Jaskier walked over and picked up the book, placing it gently on the table next to the pile of ever-growing papers. He sat beside you on the window sill, placing a hand on your knee which had been bopping up and down from frustration. "You need a break."

"I need a drink."

"That too." Jaskier placed a kiss on your cheek and patted your leg before standing up, grabbing his lute and opening the door to your room so you would follow him downstairs. "I have a surprise for you in the tavern — but don't get your hopes up. It's not a pony."

Your frustration had died down enough by Jaskier's presence that you actually had to stifle a laugh at his words; wordlessly, you followed the bard down to the tavern where he was supposed to be preparing a performance. Though he was relatively famous elsewhere, the people of this village didn't care too much for his shows — or maybe they had just gotten sick of them. Still, he managed a deal with the inn owner to lessen the cost of your room if he played shows every other night.

Your mind was still clouded by thoughts of your frustration when the two of you made it to the tavern floor. You had almost forgotten that Jaskier mentioned a surprise — that was, until, your eyes immediately fell upon it. Or, him.

You gasped at the stark white hair that was facing the opposite direction, sitting at a small table not far from you. Your voice came out in a breath of disbelief, "Geralt?"

The witcher turned around, and at the sight of you and Jaskier, he stood from his spot. After months of not seeing him, he somehow looked bigger.

The size of your smile nearly surprised you, but you didn't suppress it as you rushed over to him. "Oh, gods. It's been a while."

He merely nodded, but couldn't suppress his smile either. "It has."

Jaskier stood between you two, placing his hands on both of your arms, "As much as I love this reunion, I do have a performance to give to this lovely group of people. Save a drink for me later, yeah?" Geralt simply nodding, and Jaskier sent you a wink before settling on the makeshift stage in the tavern.

You patted Geralt's arm before sitting at the table across from him, where a drink was already set down for you. "Jaskier was right. It's definitely a surprise to see you here, but about time. You look...different, somehow."

"I could say the same." Geralt nodded, and for the first time in a while, you noticed just how old his eyes looked. Not in a measure of age, but instead a measure of his knowledge. His lips quirked up slightly at the way you were staring at him in something short of awe. "You look good. Calmer."