Chapter 10: Living Somebody Else's Life

1998-2012

Everything was black, but then it wasn't. Suddenly I was in someone else's home, not space. And I was looking down at 2 babies. One was a boy with striking blue eyes and the other was a girl with hazel ones, they were obviously twins and despite their eye color they were identical. The girl began to giggle at who I assumed was her mother while the boy fell asleep in her other arm.

The scene changed. It looked like the same two children but this time they looked to be 4 or 5. The boy was chasing his sister around the house, knocking stuff over and making a mess while the girl was very careful.

It changed again. They were about 10 sitting at a kitchen table with their parents and what seemed to be family friends when something blew a whole in the floor, taking everyone and everything in the kitchen except for the twins.

And again. The two had to be 12 this time. It looked as if they were protesting, there was smoke and a large crowd so you could barely even tell what was going on or who they were.

The next scene I saw was of a stone building in a forest, but then I entered and saw the two again. The boy now had silverish hair and more muscle mass than good for a 14 year old, he was running around a small cell. But he was too fast to see and left only a blue streak behind him. His sister was an entirely different case, her hair was redder and her eyes were still brown but with a crimson tint to them. She was not in a cell like his but on a small metal table with needles sticking out of her and injuries and incisions all over her body. A doctor came up and injected her with something and the young teen began to scream.

It was painful to watch and somehow her shrill screams turned into a loud roar. That jolted me into a sitting position, drenched in sweat. I opened my eyes to see that I was on the floor of a street in New York with my team watching over me? My braid had long since fallen out, so I brushed my fingers through my hair and stared around at my environment. I took a deep breath and spoke words that I didn't think I would ever be able to say. "What happened?"

Steve glanced around us before looking down at me, "We won."

"Alright, hey, alright. Good job guys."

My dad bent down and pulled me to my feet as Tony stood up from his rock and walked over. "Let's just not come in tomorrow, let's just take a day. Have you guys ever tried shawarma? There's a shawarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I want to try it." I smiled at Tony's ridiculousness, actually happy to see him, and silently agreed.

It looked like everyone else was down to, but Thor stared up at the tower where Loki was still waiting for us. "We're not done yet."

I frowned and sighed, "And then shawarma after."