Chapter 11: Peace ;)

May 2012

It had been a couple of days since what people had called "The Battle of New York" and the 7 of us had been doing absolutely nothing. The Stark Relief Foundation was dealing with clean up and the rest of us just hung out and trained. Tony had said that after the tower renovations were done, that it would become the new Avengers facility. He promised us all our own floors and a giant training room, communal living room, kitchen, and access to the Stark Industries tech and offices. And I think that leads up to right now.

I was wandering around the part of the tower that wasn't destroyed, tapping an envelope in the palm of my hand as I looked for the room Tony and Pepper were staying in for the time being. I had been looking for about 30 minutes and was supposed to meet my teammates in Central Park in that same amount of time, so I really needed to hurry up and find it. I probably looked for about 7 more minutes when I tripped and pushed a door open as I fell on my butt. Although my ass was now tingling from the impact with the hardwood floors, I thankfully found Stark's residence. Standing up, I walked in and walked over to the bed where I would place my letter to Tony but it was soon forgotten in my hands.

I hadn't meant to snoop, but before I could place the slip of paper on his pillow the wall opposite the door caught my eye. It was covered in pictures, which I didn't expect from Tony. And as I walked closer to the wall I realized what they were of. Some were of Pepper, others of Tony with friends and his parents, there were even ones of my mother. But only 25 in total were of these three things... The rest were of me. They were of me from the day I was born to the last time he saw my face before the Avengers Initiative.

(I imagine the wall looking a bit like this, but you know of the pictures that I described in the paragraph above

(I imagine the wall looking a bit like this, but you know of the pictures that I described in the paragraph above.)

As I stared at the pictures, I felt tears slip down my cheeks and I considered what this could mean. There were numerous possibilities. It could have been that he didn't want to forget his past or they could have belonged to Pepper who I was close with in the past or it could be that Tony realized what he'd done and was actually sorry or at least guilty about what he did to me. I didn't really know and I didn't even realize that Pepper had slipped into the room behind me.

"You know, he really misses her. I assume you know what he did to her and that's why you're crying but Tony isn't as cold as he pretends to be. It's an act to cover up the pain of losing his parents and then his wife and then his daughter."

I gave a small laugh and wiped the tears of my face, "She must have been pretty special."

"She was and Tony says that you're just like her."

"If only he knew," I whispered under my breath.

Obviously not hearing my comment Pepper continued, "If you don't mind my asking, what are you doing in here? I thought you were supposed to meet everyone else in Central Park."

"Oh, I was going to leave something for Tony, but the wall distracted me." I walked up to her spot in the doorway, "Can you give this to him when he gets back? It involves some information that is of the utmost importance and I think it will give him some peace of mind." Without waiting for an answer, I placed the letter into her hands and swiftly strided out of the room and to where everyone else was waiting.