.09

"ARE YOU REALLY LEAVING?"

It was 7 AM, and poor Peter was drilling Spencer Banner with questions before she had even reached for the coffee pitcher.

She drew a breath - she hadn't expected him to ask. Or even to care, really. It's not like she did anything besides take up space in the lab and give him picked-at pepperoni.

But he deserved a reply because at least he asked.

Shaking her head, Spencer wrapped her fingers around the handle of a mug from the cabinet and placed it on to counter. "My mom can't fly me out till Tuesday," she explained, pouring the coffee. "So-" she dumped a spoon full of sugar, aggressively. "I'm stuck here a little longer."

With that, she raised her eyebrows, and then her drink, before taking a big sip.

Peter was not content with the answer. He looked like it genuinely discomforted him, or something and Spencer started to wonder where Tony was.

Come get your kid, she thought before scolding herself to be nice.

"Dr.Banner feels real bad," Peter said unexpectantly, picking at the frays of his zip-up sweater. His eyes flickered all around Spencer but didn't dare to meet hers. "I mean, he won't tell me what he did, but I heard him talking to Natasha-"

Spencer furrowed her eyebrows, interrupting, "Wait, you heard him talking?"

Peter stopped, like he'd been caught, or something. His eyes locked with Spencer as he nodded, and then, in a slightly pitchy voice, rushed to explain, "Yeah, uh, it's um, the hearing thing is apart of the Spider thing-"

"Oh, okay-"

"And he said he really felt back and like he ruined everything."

Spencer sat on that for a moment. Maybe Bruce really did feel bad. Maybe he honestly felt terrible about what happened.

But he never said it to her. He didn't even try.

So Spencer just shook her head. "Peter, I'm sure you have much more important things to worry about. Me and my dad - this was bound to happen," she promised him, not sure why this mattered so much to him. "Just focus on what Mr.Stark had you working on, alright?"

Peter hesitated, then nodded, going back to his bowl o cereal.

There was a moment of peace before Spencer heard his voice.

"Ahh," Pietro called, and both brunettes' looked over to where he and had entered the kitchen. He clutched his hand to his heart, as he dramatized, "Oh, what a lovely morning -"

"Pietro, be nice," Wanda scolded, smiling to both of the other occupants. "Hello, Peter. Spencer."

Spencer completely ignored Pietro's fraternizing glare and gave Wanda a small wave. "Want coffee?" she offered.