( three ) the funeral

THE FUNERAL
' worse than a zombie apocalypse? '

THE FUNERAL' worse than a zombie apocalypse? '

"Two, c'mon. Open up!" The curly haired girl says softly from the other side of her brothers door. Her tear stained face was paler than usual because she, like everyone else, was not taking the lost of their friend well. "She was my friend too! Let me talk to you... please."

"He's a lost cause now, Three. Just let him be." The dark haired boy says to his sister. He looked even worse than his sister. His normally neat hair was a mess, his eyes were blood shot, his fists were red with dry blood all over it.

"Shut up, Five. You're not making it any better." An asian boy says, his eyes extremely puffy.

"Yeah, well at least i'm not locking myself in my room like a cry-"

"Not today, Five. Don't go fighting with the family on the day of her funeral."

Then the dinner bell rings.

Five was the first to walk away. He made his way down the stairs, determined.

They all silently entered the dining room, standing behind their seats as they await their fathers commands.

"Sit." Reginald says, the kids all quickly take a seat. The dinner was as quiet as it always was. A recording was playing in the back ground as they 'ate'.

The kids were too broken to even pick up their forks. They all just stared at the food with a distant look on their faces.

It was pretty much silent....

Until Five stabs his knife into the table, causing everyone to look up at the boy.

Four glances to the dark corner of the room. Feeling a familiar presence. It was Reese.

"Number Five?" Reginald says, not looking up from his food.

"I have a question." Five asks, his normal smirk on his face.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson." Reginald answers, brushing off the boys curiosity.

"I want to time travel. I want to go back in time to save Reese." Five says.

"No." Reginald says sternly, still pigging out on his food.

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." Five disappears and reappears beside Reginald. "See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn." Reginald explains, finally looking up at the boy.