( four ) the family reunion

THE FAMILY REUNION
' it makes me feel special '

"Eli, I swear to God, if you're the reason why we're late to the carnival-"

"Honey, i'm hoooome!" A voice calls out from downstairs. The young brunette squeals as she she races down the stair. "Hey, Tori-"

Reese tackles her curly-haired best friend into a hug. "Did you see?"

"See what?" Charlize asks, holding back a smirk as she sees Reese pout a bit. "Oh, are you talking about the news segment yesterday where they showed a group of super-powered kids who saved dozens of hostages? What were they called again?"

"The Umbrella Academy." The blonde boy says as he walks down the stairs, buttoning the last button of his shirt. "Tori hasn't stopped talking about it since she got back."

"Well, I understand why. They were amazing." Charlize says, grabbing her best friend's hands. "I could tell immediately which one was you. Though, it looked like you were drenched in blood. Are you hurt?"

"No, none of that blood was mine." Reese says as if it were the most normal thing in the world, making her best friend and brother's eyes widen. "Relax, it wasn't that bad."

"I'm starting to think that the academy is a bad influence on you."

"You are such a worrywart, Eli. Now, come on. Mom has been waiting for us in the the car for ages. I want to get to the swings before the lines get too long."

As the girl yanked the two out of the house, they looked at each other, a smiled creeped onto both of their faces before they looked forward again, their cheeks flushed.

"Carnival, here we come!"

"Here lies Reese Victorie Taylor, a loving daughter, friend, and hero..."

Tears streamed down everyones face as they all crowded around the coffin. Charlize found it hard to even look at the coffin, her eyes often drifting off to look at the beautiful flowers of the greenhouse.

Charlize was Reese's best friend, her anchor to the normal world. Reese had saved her from getting mugged one day, using her powers to knock the man out before rushing her new friend to her home.

Charlize owed Reese her life and seeing the coffin was just too much for her.

"My Reese was always so kind..." the eldest Taylor started, her son sobbing behind her as he stared at the coffin.

Elliot was a mess. He had just lost his sister, his best friend. The only one who stood up for him when their mom was still married to her abusive husband. She saved him and he couldn't thank her enough.

He decided to live his best life in honor of his late sister.

Elliot looked to his side at his sobbing friend. He takes her hand, making her look up at him before she wraps her arms around him, crying into his chest as the ceremony went on.