Chapter 7: Meteor Shower

Last school year: March

"Why don't you just join the student council already?"

It was a question Jin asked him all the time, and Hoseok's answer was always 'no'. 

"Too much work," he replied. Jin just sighed, shaking his head like he should've known. 

Even though Hoseok wasn't officially apart of the student council, he basically spent all of his time with them. He ate lunch with them, went to their parties, he even hung out with them after school. Jin, along with everyone else, loved having him around. It was finally a place where he felt like he belonged, even though he didn't really belong.

But tonight it was just the two of them, alone on Hoseok's balcony. They had heard earlier that day that there was supposed to be some kind of meteor shower that only happened once in a lifetime, and the whole town was raving about it. Hoseok and Jin had brought lawn chairs up to the balcony so they could sit back and relax, and now it was just a matter of waiting.

"Hey, hand me that coke," Hoseok said. His throat was seriously dry. Jin passed it to him without a word, still watching the sky intensely.

"Thanks," he said, popping the lid off and taking a sip. Jin just nodded and gave a "mhm".  

Hoseok turned to look at his friend who had suddenly gone quiet, his platinum hair flowing against the night breeze. He looked like some kind of supermodel when he got all serious.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Hoseok tapped him on the shoulder. Jin turned quickly to find Hoseok smirking at him, his face going completely red. He never seemed like the type to blush, but once you got past Jin's intimidating atmosphere, it was way too easy to make his cheeks turn pink.

"Nothing," he said, turning away and rolling his eyes. Hoseok knew that was a total lie.

"If you don't tell me, I'm just gonna assume it was something dirty," Hoseok said with a laugh. The facial expression Jin made was priceless.

"Gross!" he said, hitting him on the arm. Hoseok was still giggling way too much. "Fine. If you must know, Hobi, I was thinking about you and me."

"Ohhh. What about you and me?"

Jin hit him again. "Stop it," he said, letting out a deep breath. Hoseok was listening for real now. "I was thinking about how... well, how different we are, I guess." He turned to look at Hoseok, who was raising his eyebrows in confusion.

"How so?" he asked. But now that Hoseok was thinking about it, he was starting to see that Jin was right. They were very different people.

"Well, I spend so much time worrying about school and studying, and you... you sort of just live in the moment. You don't care what anyone thinks about you or how you look, and you're not scared to take risks. I'm totally boring compared to you."

So that's what he was thinking about? Hoseok almost wanted to start laughing again. As much as he was flattered Jin thought about him that way, he had it all wrong.

"Oh please," he said, taking a sip of his soda. "I might be 'living in the moment', but that's not gonna get me anywhere. You, on the other hand, are going places. You're like the smartest guy in school, which is way cooler than someone like me, trust me."

Jin was smiling ever so slightly, and he was trying hard to conceal it.

"But I wanna be more like you," he said, his eyes growing wider. "I wanna take risks and have fun. I don't wanna care what people think about me or freak out whenever I don't do well on a test. Someday I'm gonna look back on my high school years and I'll have absolutely no stories to tell, and how lame will that be? Sometimes I don't even know if we'd still be best friends if I hadn't met you when we were kids."

Jin was doing that thing where he started talking really fast and ran out of breath, and Hoseok just sat there, nodding his head without knowing how to respond. How long had this been bothering Jin, anyways? He always kept things bottled up inside until they were ready to burst.

"Okay, so you wanna live in the moment. It's not that hard," he chuckled, Jin still staring at him. "What's one thing you've always wanted to do? Something you've never told anyone?"

Jin went silent for a moment, and Hoseok could tell he was thinking hard about it. He almost expected Jin to say nothing, or that there wasn't really anything he'd been holding back on all these years. That was just the kind of person Jin was; he knew what he wanted, and he usually had everything all figured out.

"Well, there is one thing," he said, much to Hoseok's surprise. He set his soda down on the table.

"Oh really?" Hoseok was interested now. "What is it, then?"

Jin was still looking at the ground, his blond hair falling into his eyes, when suddenly he took Hoseok's hand and laced his fingers with his. Hoseok looked down at the image to make sure it was really happening.

"What's this?" he said, laughing nervously. Jin looked up at him now, his cheeks completely red again, but he still wasn't letting go. Actually, he was leaning in closer to him. Wait, no-- he was leaning in really, really close.

Seokjin was leaning in to kiss him.

Is this what he had wanted?! Hoseok had gone completely frozen. It was like he was stuck, and he couldn't pull away even if he wanted to. 

And then Jin's lips were on his, and everything became a blur. If the meteor shower ever came, they hadn't noticed.