Chapter six: Report Card

Chapter six

Report Card

(Five and half years old)

Darius was relaxing in his room after a longer than necessary hunt when Raven climbed into his lap. The boy had finally mastered the werewolf to human transformation and actually liked being in human form. 

“Daddy.” he patted his father’s cheek to get him to open his eyes.

“Hmm…” muttered Darius. 

“Daddy,” whined Raven, wanting his father’s full attention.

“Yes, Raven.” The future Alpha opened his eyes.

“Where’s Jagger and Daven?”

Darius slumped back into the furs on his bed. “School. They’re started first grade today.” Pulling the boy down next to him, he rolled over and closed his eyes.

“Daddy, stop.” Raven fought to get free and crawled out from under his dad’s arms. He peered down at the sleeping dominate. “Daddy.” He pushed on his father’s shoulder. 

“What Raven?”

“When will they be back?”

“Not until tonight, around dinner time.”

Raven sat back with his legs tucked under them. “What am I supposed to do?”

Darius shrugged. “There are so many toys scattered about this cave, I’m sure you can come up with something.”

A pout formed on the little boys face. “Will you play with me?”

“Raven, I’m tired.” Rubbing his forehead, he scanned his son’s sad posture.

“Please. Mommy’s not here, and I don’t want to play by myself.”

Darius sat up. “Well you can take a nap with me.”

The light hair werewolf brow narrowed into a scowl. “I’m not tired.” He grabbed his dad’s hand. “Can’t you play with me?”

“Raven,” he sighed, glancing around the room and spotted a pile of books. “How about I read a story to you?”

The boy’s eyes lit up, and he ran over to grabbed his favorite story his mother always read to them at night. Handing the book to his father, Raven curled up in his arms. Darius started to read and with each turn of the page, his son sunk deeper into his chest. By the time he closed the book, the boy was fast asleep.

“Thank god,” breathed Darius, settling the book to the side and joining Raven in a well deserved nap. 

***

Raven sat in the cave as his father handed over his brother and Jagger to the human that took the kids to school each day. Darius walked over to him and grabbed his hand to help the boy to his feet. They started back toward their room.

“Daddy?”

“Hmm…”

“Why can’t I go?” Raven peered up at his father. 

“Go where, Raven.”

He pulled back, making his father stop. “With Daven and Jagger. I want to go to school too.”

“Subs don’t go to school Raven.”

The light haired child’s instincts made him well aware that his wolf was on the weaker side so he understood what a sub meant. “But I want to go to.”