Chapter ten Letting Go

Chapter ten

(Thirteen years old)

Letting Go

Darius entered his family’s cave to the sound of Raven’s muffled sobs. He walked to the son’s room to find the boy curled up in his blankets, crying into his pillow.

“Raven?” he said softly, not wanting to scare him.

Sitting up, Raven wiped his face and reached out for his father. 

Going to his side, the alpha knelt down and took the child into his arms. “What happened?”

“D-Daven said I was an-an omega,” he wiped his face. “He said I was going to-to be someone’s b-bitch.”

Darius squeezed his son to his chest. “Don’t say those things. They’re not true.”

“But it is!” wept Raven. “If-if I don’t get a mate,” he covered his face with trembling hands. “I’m worthless. I can’t do anything. I don’t want to have a mate though.” He peered up at his father. “I don’t want one, because he’ll be mean just like all the other dominate.” He hid his face in his father’s chest.

Tucking his child’s head under his chin, Darius held me close and hushed him until Raven cried himself to sleep. 

***

Darius sat among the mounds of fur in the living chamber of his cave, trying to think how to handle this. Daven know better, but the boy was already to the point where yelling would only make him more bitter toward his brother. 

His eldest son entered with an arrogance about him. “You wanted to see me.”

The alpha forced back his anger. He was not going to yell; it had never gotten anywhere with Daven. Not to mention Raven was sleeping in the next room and wanted nothing to do with his brother at the moment.

“Sit.” The dominate motioned to in place front of him. 

With a sigh, Daven did as he was told.

“Why?” asked Darius, folding his arms. “Why do you say those things to your brother?”

The dark haired boy shrugged. “He pissed me off.”

The alpha ground his teeth together. “I don’t know what to do with you.” He rubbed his forehead. “I yell at you, threaten to lower your rank, and you don’t even care. What do I have to do to get through to your, Daven? Please tell me, because I’m running out ideas.”

The boy shrugged again. “If you’d stop babying Raven all the time, you won’t have to,” he muttered.

“Alright out with it,” stated Darius. “Now’s your time. Whatever bothering you, I want to hear it.”

“Everything my fault,” said Daven firmly. “Raven gets hurt, and it’s my fault. He runs off when I tell him not to, and it’s still my fault. He starts crying over nothing, and it’s my fault.” He met his Alpha’s gaze. “You’re always on his side, and I’m tired of it.”

“You’re his older brother. I expected you to take care of him, especially because you’re a dom-”

“I don’t care!” snapped Daven. “Just because I’m the dominate and he’s a stupid little sub, doesn’t make everything’s my fault. I tell him no, and he doesn’t listen and then he run to you, and I get in trouble. I’m sick of it, and I’m sick of him.” Daven bowed his head and bit his lip.