Prologue + Author's note

Makoto looked at the messy desk in his room, sighing as he looked around the rest of the area. Boxes were scattered all around, along with objects that haven't been organized yet. He was beginning to become overwhelmed, the thought of uprooting himself and leaving his friends behind was catching up to him. Makoto opened his bedroom door, the brisk spring air meeting him immediately. Mom must've opened the windows again. He thought, leaning back with his hands on his hips, taking a deep breath. Was he making the right choice? Transferring schools a year in was already odd, but having to move away from home fully was worse. Makoto moved towards the kitchen, trying to take his mind off of the situation.

"Hey kiddo, are you done packing?" Makoto's eyes moved towards his mother's. She was currently sitting by the counter, reading a book of some sort. The coffee maker was letting out a low hum, she must've started it recently. "Not yet," He responded after a moment. "It's just a bit stressful, I needed a break."

Anya looked at her son, watching his worried expression on his face. "I know you're worried, do you want to talk about it?" Closing her book, she moved facing Makoto fully. After pushing her brown hair back she folded her hands.

Makoto generally didn't like talking about his feelings. Even when he was talking to a therapist for his hormone therapy, he was always a bit closed off. He'd always been like this, and felt as if there wasn't a reason to share.

Makoto smiled at his mother, scratching the back of his head for a moment. "No, I'll be fine. I think I just need more sleep." Makoto's eyes moved around, quickly scanning the house before turning back to his mother once more. "Hey where is dad?"

Anya looked up, her purple gaze surprised for a moment. "Hm? What did- Ah your father, right he had to go to work again, you know they love to work him to death."

We were supposed to go out for dinner tonight. This was common since they moved back to Japan, his father's work load had increased. In short, he hardly had time to be at home.

Makoto looked towards his mother for a moment, both of their purple eyes locking for a slight moment. Just a slight mutation from their quirk, Makoto had inherited it from his mother. Although his off-white hair color came strictly from his father.

"I guess I'll finish packing then."

With that, Makoto moved back into his room, turning on some music and shoving books into boxes.

The next few days passed, his father showing up less and less until moving day.

The boxes were packed up in the back of his father's car, the final touches to his dorm. Furniture had already been moved in and set up, but today everyone was officially ready to come back to the dorms after winter break. This would be the first time Makoto would be seeing his classmates.

"Makoto, grab your bag and let's get these last few boxes out of here." His father said, his Japanese accent shaping the English words around. His Dad's English had gotten better after working in america for years, unfortunately Makoto still struggled with his Japanese after moving.

"You can talk in Japanese dad, It'll help me learn faster."

His father muttered something that Makoto couldn't quite make out, he disregarded it and grabbed his gym bag, along with a large box. His father doing the same, they made their way to the entrance of the dorms.

Makoto struggled getting the door open, a gust of cool air greeted them as he wiggled his way in to hold the door. His face slightly annoyed, he struggled to keep his grip on the box. His father walked through the door, and Makoto tried his best to slowly close it, although a small thump proceeded to follow.

Makoto signed, wanting to get everything hurried up before any classmates saw him. This was his first day he'd be living in the dorms, and he wanted it to go smoothly.

They managed to get the rest of the boxes, Makoto was stretching. The binder under his clothes felt restricting. I probably shouldn't have worn it for this, I'm gonna be sweaty as hell.

"It's a good thing we got here early huh? I didn't hear any other students around." Makoto said, leaning towards the floor to start unpacking.

"This room is as big as our kitchen and living room, you better keep it clean." His father said, looking around and tampering with the curtains. "If it gets drafty let me know I can fix that for you. What's with these cheap curtains?"

Makoto laughed a bit to himself, his dad had always been a perfectionist, this was always expected. "Alright, thanks Dad." He added, taking out some books to put them on his shelves. His dad walked back over to him, patting his pack and sighing for a moment. "You have to call your mother often, she'll be worried if you don't. Brush your teeth, I don't have money for cavities, and go to bed at a decent time."

Makoto's father continued, but eventually calmed. "Just be safe," He said lastly, pulling Makoto into a hug. "I will Dad, I'll be fine."

With a few parting words, his father said goodbye and went on with his day. Makoto was left alone to unpack.

-- 

A/N {feel free to skip!} Hello tysm for reading my first BNHA fanfiction ! I plan on updating this often, feel free to stick around <3 My tumblr will be more active and receive updates 30 minutes sooner {after this and the first chapter} and I'll answer many questions on there! My blog is Thank You Strawberry so feel free to follow me there !