Chapter 21: Greyson

July 5

Port Carling, Muskoka

Trying to remember exactly how I found myself here, I think back over the past few hours. I swore I wouldn't come back into town for any more shopping, but here I am, sitting in a chair outside the change room while Elle tries on clothes.

I also wonder how Theo escaped this part of the afternoon. He'd gone up to the hardware store over an hour ago, making a whipping gesture towards me as Elle dragged me down to the shops. Asshole.

I haven't heard from or seen him since.

Elle's come out to show off half a dozen outfits already, and we haven't even made it through half the pile she picked out. I'd rather be outside, swimming or wakeboarding. But nope, I was bribed to come along directly after our shift, and the thought of her sweet, grateful kisses later make me grit my teeth and bear it.

The curtain flicks to the side, and Elle walks out. I choose my words carefully. She bit my head off last time when I told her she looked beautiful for the tenth time in a row. Apparently that was not what she wanted to hear.

I shake my head. "Not this one, too long." The dress she's come out in is nearly ankle-length, and there is something distinctly mom-ish about this one.

"Really? I was sure this one was cute." She sighs and goes back into the change room, not even bothering to look for herself. I groan, hoping we can be done soon, but knowing better than to rush her.

A few moments later, she wanders out in a skimpy bikini. Now she certainly has my attention. "Wow." I circle my hand in the air, indicating with a finger for her to spin. "Slowly," I say, intending to enjoy the show.

She tosses a knowing smile at me as she turns. The ties and straps make my mouth go dry, so do the high cut cheeky bottoms that leave a good deal of her curves on display.

I stand and walk towards her, sliding my hands over her hips and bending to kiss her neck. "This is a yes. You can wear it every day for the rest of the summer." She shivers as I whisper against her neck. Her perfume is intoxicating, roses and vanilla, and just a trace of perspiration from the airless change rooms.

Her laugh makes me smile against her soft skin. "Just wait till you see the other bathing suits I picked to try."

Her taunting laugh trails behind her as she walks into the change room and closes the curtain with a saucy snap. I groan, feeling my shorts tighten as I imagine all the possibilities.

I return to my seat and flip through my phone mindlessly, distracting myself. The next bathing suit is nearly indecent, and I all but choke on my own tongue. "Elle, no way. I love it, but you aren't ever wearing that in public." The siren red, strappy bikini barely leaves anything to the imagination. Small triangles barely cover her breasts, the bottoms ride so high on her hips and cheeks that she might as well be naked.

She blushes the prettiest shade of pink but retreats back to the change room quickly. Even as she stood there, I knew she wasn't comfortable in the skimpy two-piece porn star inspired suit.

Hangers flick in the change room, and I listen as Elle mutters under her breath about the twisted straps. I'm about to poke my head in to see if she needs help when I hear a high, shrill voice. "Grey, what on earth are you doing here?"

I groan. "Elle, come out for a sec, please. Now." I do not want her to walk out and find me here with Chiara, without advance warning.

"Chiara," I grind my teeth together, aiming for casual politeness, nothing more. "I'm here with Elle, doing some shopping."