Chapter 27: Elle

July 11

Ottawa, Ontario

The music and noise from the crowd pulse over me, pump through me. This afternoon has been a fun, light start to our adventure. I'm sweaty from dancing, soaking wet and a little dirty from the rain that poured down on us, but so very happy.

As soon as it started to pour, Greyson pulled me out from under the tent, and he'd held me while we'd danced like two idiots under the pouring sheets of rain, ticking yet another box on my list. Theo had dragged Sarah out to join us, tossing her over his shoulder as she'd shrieked with laughter under the onslaught of rain.

We've been dancing, cheering and singing for hours, even though the music isn't to my own personal taste, I'm drunk off the enjoyment of the crowd and my friends.

I've been twirling between Hudson, Theo, Ryan and Greyson for hours, as Sarah, Jules and I swap dance partners. Although every time I spin out of his arms, Greyson steps aside, seemingly content to watch rather than dance with anyone else.

Now, leaning back in Greyson's arms, his hands take a firm grasp around my hips, and I close my eyes, smiling. He twirls me quickly just before the music slows down for the last song of the night. I sigh as the familiar notes of Perfect roll out over the crowd.

Greyson pulls me back into his arms, holding me closer and moving into a slow, swaying dance, his lips brushing my temple, hands sliding over me, pulling me even closer so there is no space between our bodies as we move together.

The lyrics tug at me, running oddly parallel to my feelings and thoughts from earlier this summer about how Greyson treated me. It's only a song, though. If we want this to last forever, then why can't we have that? If two people choose to go back, to try again, isn't that enough? Greyson's arms tighten around me, and I wonder if he's listening for a deeper meaning behind the lyrics as well.

Sighing, shaking off my mood, I turn my face to rest my cheek on his chest and look at my friends. Theo's dancing with Sarah, and the sight of them together makes me smile, and wonder how Ryan allowed Theo to get his hands on her, even if only for a dance. Although the way Sarah's looking up at Theo, maybe not just a dance.

I find Ryan in the crowd, though, and understanding hits me. He's with another girl, locked into a steamy embrace with her. I smile to myself, pleased that he's also taking small moments of joy where he can find them.

I look for Hudson, who has Jules pulled into his arms, her back to his front. His chin is resting on her head, and her eyes are closed, a small smile on her lips. Hudson catches me watching him and winks at me. I see his lips move, "You okay?"

I smile and mouth back, "Yes, better than okay. You?"

His quick, wide grin tells me all I need to know, and he turns his attention back to the concert.

I don't see Mads or Craig anywhere, so I make a note to text her after the song.

"You still with me, Elle?" Greyson's voice rumbles against my ear, pulling me back to the moment. I look up into his face, resting my chin against his hard chest. He smiles down at me, bending his head to kiss me, sliding his hands up to cup my cheeks, thumbs stroking my skin softly.

"I'm still with you." If I have my way, I'll always be with him. But I don't say it.

We sway like this, connected until the last guitar notes fade away to memory.

The crowd immediately cheers loudly, but Greyson's already tugging me towards the exit and shouting to Hud, Theo, and Ry over the noise. "Let's get out of here before the madness!"