Chapter 46: Greyson

August 7

Loon Call Island, Lake Rosseau, Muskoka

"I'll see you later, Elle. Can I come by tonight?" I lean down to kiss her, sliding my hands through her long, soft ponytail and tugging so her face tips up to mine.

"I'd like that. Say hi to Ryan, from me."

"Only Ry? I see how it is." Skimming my lips across her cheek, down to her lips, I nip her lightly before kissing along her other cheekbone, more affected by the soft catch in her breath than I can explain. "Should I be worried?"

She shakes her head, like she's trying to focus, "What? Why should you worry?"

"That you're soft on Ry, I mean don't you want me to say hi to everyone for you?"

I kiss her again, desperate for some time alone with her. We've been surrounded by friends and family the past days, and both Hudson and Theo have been taking her attention. We haven't been properly alone since she'd practically passed out in my arms.

Her head tips back as I trail kisses along the side of her throat. "No... I mean yes, of course. But Ry's the only one I haven't seen today."

I glance at my watch quickly, it's only noon, and we've been together since nine. When did she see Theo and Hud?

"Go, Greyson, before you get me in trouble with the boss." She swats me lightly, pushing me towards my boat, even as I pull her with me.

Shaking the idle curiosity off, I grab her again, yanking her up onto her tiptoes and against my chest. "Tonight, Elle. I'll walk over around eleven." With a quick, hard kiss to her lips, I set her back on her feet, then kick off the dock as I jump into my boat, speeding away.

The guys will be at Theo's any minute, I got caught up helping Elle at work today, not wanting to leave her alone in the mechanic bay again, even though Dan hasn't made an appearance in weeks.

For the rest of the afternoon, I'm going to drink beer, forget about my problems and shoot the breeze.

Elle had been the one to push us to take the afternoon together, having hovered over us all the past few days. It wasn't a terrible idea, so we all agreed.

Pulling up to Theo's, I use the empty boat slip, tying off. As usual, his parents' boats aren't here. Sometimes I think his parents' absence is at last better than the cold indifference or controlling pressure I get from my dad.

Shaking those thoughts off, I strip to my boxers, diving off the back of my boat to rinse the sweat and the smell of gas from my skin. Not that my friends care, but I figure why add the smell of beer and booze on top of it.

I swim around the front of the boathouse, pulling myself up on the dock. I strip, tossing my briefs into my boat and pull on a dry pair of board shorts before wandering up to the boathouse loft.

"T! You around, brother?"

Theo swings around the corner, carrying a giant cooler, staggering under the weight of it. "Grey, my man, you have perfect timing. Help me lug this beast downstairs."

"Fuck that's heavy. Why did you pack it up here?"

A shrug is all I get as we heft the packed cooler.

We drop the cooler on the dock a few minutes later, just as Hud and Ry race towards us. They're well matched, but Hud beats Ry to the dock, turning sharply, sending waves splashing over the dock.

I meet Ry as he spins into the dock smoothly. I grab hold of the tower of his boat, steadying him, before picking up the bowline.

Hud tosses Theo a line. "Got something to show you boys." Theo's voice is excited as he grins at each of us.