ᴄʜᴀᴘɪᴛʀᴇ ᴅɪx

MUCH TO HER DISPLEASURE, Estelle couldn't quench the never-ending thoughts relating to the strange conclusion at the Three Broomsticks. As she dusted the tip of her quill along the tip of her nose, completely ignoring what Professor Slughorn was saying, she immersed herself into her thoughts.

Karma might be around the corner even for the ones who think they have done nothing wrong. She frowned for what seemed for the hundredth time ━ what in the name of Merlin could that mean? She glanced briefly at the said boy sitting in front of the room. Could Aguillar possibly have suspicions on Estelle herself?

Estelle set her quill down, and gazed as blankly as the sheet of parchment in front of her at Aguillar's turned back, her frown creasing deeper, and then at the grouped Marauders who were whispering discreetly among themselves across the room, which was clearly unknown to Slughorn, whose drone on the properties of moonstone was nearly as intoxicating as Professor Binns's drone on Giant Wars earlier that day. She glanced at Lily, who was dutifully taking notes beside her, and absent-mindedly dipped her own quill into her ink pot.

Aguillar was not, unfortunately, as ignorant as Estelle thought he was. He probably would be able to pick things up, it was common knowledge he could practically charm the gills off a shark. Estelle tightened her lips as the train of thought continued: she really was quite lucky that she hadn't let anything slip in her dreamlike state. She had acted nearly as stupid as James Potter when he tried to win Lily's affection.

" . . . and in conclusion, moonstone can be used in a variety of different potions. Miss Devereaux, will you kindly name one to remind your classmates?"

Estelle had only broken out of her stupor just in time. Her dark brown eyes bored into Slughorn's before saying in a monotone voice, "The Draught of Peace, sir."

Slughorn nodded approvingly at her. "Five points to Ravenclaw. Yes, indeed, Miss Devereaux is correct ━ the Draught of Peace is certainly one of the Potions that contain moonstone ━ or, as it is in this particular potion, in its powdered state. Coincidentally ━" Slughorn tapped the blank chalkboard with his wand as Lily and Estelle shared looks. It certainly wasn't a coincidence, Slughorn had wanted Estelle to name that particular potion. They both turned their heads back to the blackboard, where steps were neatly written. "That is the potion you are going to brew me today: the Draught of Peace, a potion that often turns up in your O.W.Ls. Tricky little potion as you might notice if you look at the directions, everything must be perfectly put together, unless you would like to put your drinker under an irreversible sleep." His eyes twinkled and Estelle had to hold in a snort.

Slughorn could be cheery in the most curious of situations. She shifted in her chair, only half-listening now as she immersed herself once more into her thoughts on Aguillar's strange behavior the previous day.

She already knew that she herself was the Gossip Girl, so why was she acting like she didn't? She frowned as her eyes trained themselves on Aguillar's back once more. Suddenly she rolled her eyes once she realized how stupid she was being: Aguillar was clearly only making himself seem like he was the Gossip Girl so he could get more attention. Didn't he call the gossip thrilling? Of course he would want to be the hero that was ruining the worst bullies' lives and giving fresh fruit to the eager students. Estelle scowled at his back; he really was a nasty attention seeker, she had half a mind to give him little gift herself. But only if she could dig up some dirt about him . . .

Professor Slughorn brought Estelle out of her thoughts once more.

". . . and since this is such a tricky potion, I'll be assigning you partners. Now, now!" he said, addressing the groans of disappointment erupting around the room. "It's only in the hour remaining, really, it won't torture you." Estelle and Lily shared another silent look, obviously Slughorn didn't understand what torture was for his students. While Lily turned back to the front of the room once again, Estelle felt her insides bubbling with excitement.