The Big Change

The addition of vocational rehabilitation services at the Curative Workshop of Racine was a roaring success among the community because it was the first agency in the Racine community to provide these types of services.

But adding new services meant shifting gears for Katie and C. Margaret. Their mission was much bigger now than when they first opened the doors of Curative Workshop of Racine. The possibilities of what they could do with these new services had them exploding with ideas, and their lingering feelings that something was missing from the Curative Workshop of Racine's services were fading away.

Katie and C. Margaret quickly got to work and came up with a mission statement for the newly added vocational rehabilitation services. The mission of the Vocational Services Division was: "To provide vocational evaluation, work adjustment training, placement services, and sheltered employment to vocationally disabled individuals, to determine their level of functioning and to assist them in attaining their maximum potential in relation to competitive or sheltered employment." For over twenty years, this powerhouse of a duo was devoted to running the show at Curative Workshop of Racine, until 1973, when C. Margaret Gleave retired.