Here's Looking at You, Katie

Sadly, the dynamic duo, Katie Batten and C. Margaret Gleave, along with the harmonious relationship that was created between them and Lyle Zielke, came to an end one sad winter's day.

On March 5, 1989, Katie Batten passed away at St. Luke's Hospital in Racine from an illness. Though she continued to stay in touch with C. Margaret, Lyle, and everyone at the Curative Workshop of Racine long after her retirement, it was clear she was not doing so hot when her familiar presence was missing from Curative.

Despite her weakened condition, Katie was a fighter through and through, and she put up a good fight before something awful took her away from the world. Her passing was a great loss to the Racine community, especially those she came to know and love at Curative Workshop of Racine, but even though she was gone, she was not forgotten. Lyle Zielke continued to keep Katie Batten's legacy alive, along with the Executive Directors who came after him, and though it was a long, winding road from where the Curative Workshop of Racine began, it was only the beginning of more wonderful things to come.

 Lyle Zielke continued to keep Katie Batten's legacy alive, along with the Executive Directors who came after him, and though it was a long, winding road from where the Curative Workshop of Racine began, it was only the beginning of more wonderful...