Chapter 23 - Love Reigns

Defne got up to Annane gently waking her up with endearments.

She opened her eyes, and saw the wrinkled face, crinkled eyes filled with love, and the soothing cold hands on her face, gently brushing her hair out of her face

How comforting this touch was. Defne just prayed that she shouldn't lose this touch ever in her life.
She lost her father's and later her mother's and now Omer's was on the brink of losing.

Will she lose that because of her ambitions, she thought. She saw Annane's eyes clouding with worry.
She immediately put that smile back on her lips and got up, and held on to Annane's smiling wrinkled cheeks in her left palm and asked worriedly,
"Nay Annnane, what happened, are you alright? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Kiz, I missed not seeing you, hearing your laughing chit chats around the house.
I know, you are gone in the evenings to school and come back really late, but, still the house was so quiet without you running around, spreading all your drawing stuff in the dining room in the morning and afternoon hours, seeing you bustle around the house as you speak to your tatlu, tatlu self, absent mindedly.
I simply missed you kiz.
Gel, gel, get ready for breakfast, and come downstairs. Today is Tuesday and I hope you don't have to go anywhere."

"Hayir Annane, I have to go meet with my boss at 10 in the morning.
I have a meeting and then I have to go to school to make up. As I am going to Paris next week, they are compensating my weeklong classes for couple weeks with day classes as my final exams are nearing.
I have to work doubly hard."

"I have not seen anyone work this hard kiz. Hope you are reaping the benefits and loving it.
You look so tired and beat. Come and eat something and fill up your tummy and soul." Chided Annane, as she stepped out of the room, taking all of her dirty clothes to wash.

Defne looked at the bedside clock, it read 7:55 AM.
She darted out of the bed, got ready in a flash and skipped downstairs, all charged with adrenaline.
The morning table was dotted with all the usual suspects chattering in high speed and a loud volume.
Obviously, something was up, and that something sounded extremely happy, unlike her sad, withered soul.

"Ney oldum, burda? What's happening here?" she demanded playfully, straightening Esra's pony tail and darting looks at Mr. and Mrs. Topal, cuddling and feeding each other Annane's cinnamon pancakes.

Nihan, seeing Defne, ran over and hugged her and whispered something in her ears!
Defne's gloominess disappeared in a flash as more cinnamon pancakes sizzled for her on the stove!

"Nihan, you have given me the best news so far!
I am so, so happy! Aabhi, you are going to be a father?

You?? Oh, my God!! This is the best news ever!! My day just brightened like 1000-watt bulb lit all over!!" she dragged her brother out and she just hugged Nihan and Serdar tight and all three shed happy tears of joy!!
Esra joined in and Annane, sniffing, just prayed to God for their love to go around always like how it was now!