The Reaping

I walked through the crowds and into the 17-year-olds area. I ran to my younger brother first.

"Mitch," I say. he's crying. "Mitch listen to me!"

"Don't go, Finch," He says.

"I'm not going anywhere, I promise," I say. "I have to go, I love you, Mitch!" I call as I walk to my area. Nothing could happen. It's Mitch's first year at the reaping. He'll be fine. It's myself I have to worry about.

"Hello, hello!" Our bubbly escort Rosa Merriweather says in her bubbly amusement voice. Our mayor goes over his same speech, about how the hunger games does this and shows that.

"The time has come to pick our tributes! As always- ladies first," Rosa struts over to the big glass bowl.

"Finch Crossby!" she says. I swallow hard. I step forward and walk to the steps.

"Finch!" I hear Mitch yell. Suddenly someone's wrapped their limbs around my waist.

"Mitch," I say, turning around.

"You can't go," He chokes out. I pry him off me and tilt his chin so he'll meet my eyes.

"It's ok," I whisper. I hug him and keep walking. I'll be strong, for him. For mom, for dad. For my district. I need to be sly, clever. Quick, smart fast.

"Anything you'd like to say?" Rosa asks. I snatch the microphone.

"Call me Foxface."