The Games

"My lips leave his and I know I'm a goner."

I wake up and get dressed in the assigned clothes. At breakfast, everyone's silent.

"You can win." Alex tells me. "The Capitol loves you. Lots of sponsors."

"I'm a Career," I blurt. "They want me on their team. In their pack,"

You could hear a pin drop. I swear.

"A Career?!" Alex asks.

"You heard me," I say, folding my arms.

"So you'll ally with them and not me." Luke says cold.

"Stop it Luke! Get off my case!" I snap. I stand up and stomp to my room, slamming the door. Alex comes and tells me it's time to go. I stand up and open the door. I walk to the elevator, letting Luke press the button. Stupid Luke. Arrogant Luke. Idiotic Luke. Dead Luke, I think coldy. I get on the hovercraft and it takes us to the arena. My stylist fixes a coat on me.

"Bye Lucinda," I say quietly. A tear streams down Lucinda's face. She pulls me in for a hug. She kisses my cheek and I hug her again. When we break apart, I go into the tube.

"Five seconds," it says.

"Bye," Lucinda says quietly as the tube seals. It slowly begins to rise. A bright light blinds me. It's a forest, and the cornucopia is in a meadow. There's a lake one way. Twenty-four go in. One comes out. And it won't be me. My thoughts are interrupted by the announcements.

"Let the seventy-fourth annual Hunger Games begin!"