Firefox

"I knew this would be my final breath."

The stylists wax, pluck, and trim at my naked body for an hour.

"I think you're ready for Lucinda!" They say. They walk out and seconds later a woman walks in.

"Foxface, right?" She asks.

"Yes." I say.

"Good. Right now, you're all everyone's talking about." Lucinda says. She has pale skin and dark flowing hair. She's wearing a tight black sleeveless dress. She dresses me in this beautiful orange dress. It sticks out at the bottom, looking like a fire, but instead are foxtails. She gives me black gloves and does my makeup. Not a literal fox face, but orange shadow, heavy black mascara, and red-orange lipstick. Luke walks out in a matching outfit.

"Looks like you've inspired my look," he says. I laugh and climb the chariot. The district four people look ridiculous, dressed as fish. The six people are not so good either. We start out. I smell some weird smoky smell, and realize my foxtails are on fire.

"It's not real!" Lucinda calls from behind us. Luke is on fire too. The crowd cheers and cheers.

"Foxface! Foxface!" They yell. I start to wave when Luke grabs my hand, and thrusts it into the air. Our eyes meet and he smiles. I look away and wave at the crowd with my free hand.

He's helping me, I realize. We ride into the circle, where President Snow reads his speech. We ride back, and Alex and Rosa are there to meet us.

"Wonderful! Excellent job you two! Especially you, Foxy!" Rosa exclaims.

"I couldn't of done it without Luke, it my stylists." I say. I notice that the monstrous boy from district two is staring at me. I look away and me and my team walk to the district five room.

"So, Foxy! You've become even more popular!" Lucinda says over dinner.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yeah! The whole Capitol is talking about you!" Rosa says.

"Cool!" I say. I take a bite of my dinner; chicken with a thick, creamy orange sauce poured on top. After dinner, I lay awake in my bed. Tomorrow we start training.