Chapter 2

It was difficult for him at first to kill humans. He tried to fight the thirst that was building as he walked throughout the city. It was very hard to restrain himself, seeing as he could smell the sweet blood that was running through their veins, and hear the loud wet thumping of their hearts. He almost made it through the night before he couldn't resist the urge anymore. A young woman walked by him, her blood was the most appealing thing he had ever smelled. He wasn't sure what to do at first, then he remembered what Maria had told him.

"Just let your senses take over"

He slowly gave himself over, and stopped thinking, solely focused on the hunt. A low snarl ripped its way through his chest, and a feral grin filled his face. He crouched into an aggressive stance, and leapt at her. Soaring through the air, she didn't have time to scream before he sank his teeth into her throat. The hot blood that spilled out quenched his thirst, dousing the fire. He drank and drank, relishing the taste.

It was over too quickly, and the fire returned, burning hotter than ever. He did the same to 20 more people. A small part of his brain was disgusted with him, how he could kill so much, drink so much, and still feel thirsty. He was bent over his 21st, when Maria ran towards him, halting right in front of him. He growled at her, crouching into a defensive stance, ready to fight her off if he needed to. She stepped towards him, and he attacked her. He managed to get a few swipes in before she was able to defend herself.

"Walter, stop." She hissed.

The command made him pause for a moment. He came back to himself, taking over once again. He looked down at himself, and saw the same black blood that covered Maria running down him. He also heard terrified screams. This startled him, had they been found out for what they actually were? Did the humans know what they came to do? He looked at Maria to see her reaction. She would know if they were in any danger. To his surprise, her beautiful face was expressionless, but had the ghost of a smile playing at her lips.

"Do you hear those screams?" he asked.

"What screams, Walter? Are you okay?" she asked worriedly.

So she couldn't hear them. That was weird. She was looking at him like he was crazy. He must have imagined them then. He looked down again. He looked different than he had a minute ago, the blood was not moving down him anymore, it was drying into his clothes now. That wasn't the only thing that had changed, the blood was no longer black, but a bright red. He looked at Maria again, and was shocked, for she had nothing on herself at all even though she had been covered in blood since they had met. He rubbed his eyes and looked again. The blood was running down her, dripping, falling softly to the ground. He could hear the spatters of it hitting the gravel.

"Walter?" she asked tentatively

He looked up at her face, which was full of concern. He came out of the crouch he hadn't realized he was still holding.

"Yes Maria?" he asked

"Are you alright?" she questioned

He nodded slowly, not entirely sure he was telling the truth. It all felt strange to him, when he focused, he could see things as they normally were. When he didn't focus, he could hear the screams and the faint patter of the dripping blood. He focused now, to see things as they really were.

"Good, I was worried there was something wrong with you. I would hate to lose such a strong fighter." She said.

"Lose a fighter?" Walter echoed.

"If you aren't fit to serve me well, I would have to dispose of you. I can't have anyone finding out what my plan is, and a crazy vampire would only be a burden," she explained.

"Crazy??" he cried indignantly.

"You were hearing things Walter. Don't you think that is a little abnormal?" she said.

"Yes, I guess so. What is your plan, anyway?" he asked.

"I can't tell you now, out in the open like this! Someone could hear! Come with me, and I'll introduce you to everyone. They will explain everything to you."

With this, Maria broke into a smooth run, and ran off into the night. Walter followed after her, leaving his unfinished meal behind.

AUTHORS NOTE

I hope everyone is enjoying the shortest forever so far! If you have any suggestions or feedback, please leave a comment! Thank you so much for reading!
-Rey