Chapter 5

Maria didn't come back for several more months. Twice, several newborns were sent to the house, presumably by Maria, but she never showed. Walter was starting to worry that something had happened to her. Henry seemed to be in charge whilst she was gone, so he put Walter in charge of training the newborns. It was a dull task to him, and he won his fights without much effort or enthusiasm.

As more months passed, even Henry began to get worried. He was going to organize a search party after much contemplation as he was not sure about what Maria's response would be. Walter had been a part of the army for almost a year now. After several punishments and the loss of several fingers, he learned to stop questioning authority, and to just go with it. After deciding that Maria's temper would be worth it if Henry got her back, he decided to send a small group of vampires to go and find her. The group consisted of Walter, Albert, and a newborn by the name of Florence. Florence had the uncanny ability to effortlessly track either other predators or prey to the ends of the Earth.

The night before the search party was supposed to leave, Maria returned. With her, she had a tall male vampire with light, curly hair and the prettiest red eyes the Walter had ever seen. He saw the look of unease and nervousness in the vampire's eyes, and gave him a small reassuring smile. The smile that was returned made Walter feel like his knees were turning to jelly. He wavered a bit, then focused his attention on Maria. She smiled prettily at him, and nodded slightly.

The first week he had been there, he had been taught to give a sharp, shrill whistle whenever he needed everyone to gather at once. He did this now. He threw back his head and whistled once, loud and clear. The sound made crows fly away, cawing before settling back into the trees. The new vampire looked around quickly, before staring at his boots. He seemed to be wearing a military uniform. "He looks really good in it" Walter noted to himself. He was trying to figure out why he couldn't get a grip on himself, and stop thinking these things that he shouldn't be, when the rest of the vampires ran lightly into the room.

"Maria!" Henry cried in relief, his eyes feasting upon her hungrily. "You're back!"

She nodded in his direction, then nodded towards the other vampires, acknowledging their presence.

"Well spotted." she said dryly. There was sarcasm in her tone. She quickly resumed her usual demeanor though, and motioned for the vampires to introduce themselves. As they had when Walter had first came, each stepped forward and stated their name calmly. When Anna introduced herself, she winked at the new vampire flirtatiously. Surprisingly, Walter felt a snarl trying to rip its way through his chest. Confused, he fought to contain it and regain his composure.

When it was his turn to introduce himself, he once again felt as if his legs had turned to jelly as the new vampire looked at him with an expression of great interest. He quickly stumbled forward out of line, shocked at the clumsiness of the move. He had been clumsy in his human life, but when he had been turned that had seemed to disappear. What was this new vampire's ability? he wondered. Maybe it was to make vampires feel human again, he wasn't sure. He knew that gifts were generally few and far between as he was one of the 2 or possibly 3 vampires in the army that had a special ability. He still hadn't figured out how to describe his gift, he only knew that it benefited him greatly.

As if sensing the inner conflict that was possessing him, the new vampire laughed quietly. Suddenly, Walter felt a lot calmer. He continued to walk forward gracefully, stopping just in front of them.

"Hello, my name is Walter Mayfield. It is a pleasure to meet you." he said graciously.

With this, he stepped calmly back into the line with his eyes on the new vampire, daring him to laugh again.

The new vampire looked to Maria for reassurance before stepping forward.

"It is lovely to meet you all. My name is Jasper. Jasper Whitlock."

Author's Note

Yay, we finally met Jasper! Now we know where Maria has been. What will happen between Jasper and Walter? What is Jasper's talent? You'll find out along with Walter soon if you keep reading! Thank you so much for staying with it this far! Please leave any criticism or suggestions in the comments! Have a great day/night!

Rey