Chapter 4

CRASH

A heavy thud echoes throughout the room as Walter gets thrown to the floor. Albert looked down at him with disgust.

"If you want to survive here, you must pick this simple training up quicker! Get up, let's go again." he demanded.

Walter shot him a look, and leapt to his feet agilely. His eyes focused on Albert. He was starting to see the same black blood drip down him now too. As he was thinking about this, a figure materialized in front of him. It was a pretty woman, with long, dark brown hair and pretty blue eyes.

"You can beat him, I know you can! Show him what you can do!" she said.

Walter looked at her in shock. He recognized her-she had been the last victim that had fed Albert. That was weird. He looked at Albert again with hateful eyes. Albert crouched into a defensive stance, then lunged at Walter. With power roaring through his limbs, he met Albert in midair. With a loud crunching sound, he slammed Albert into the floor and put his boot on his neck. Albert grinned at him.

"That was much better. Now do it again." He said.

Now that Walter had found the source of his power, he won every fight just by thinking about that woman. After beating Albert several times, he moved on to Fred, then James, then Joseph, then Charlie. He took on Anna cautiously at first, but soon realized she could hold her own easily. His last fight of the day was against Henry. He was the strongest one of all of them, but Walter still beat him easily. On the ground, Henry looked up at him with a new respect.

"You have improved greatly, young one. I am interested to see what you will become." Henry said with great interest coloring his tone.

"Thank you very much, sir," Walter replied.

"Furthermore, I think I will talk to Maria about having you train the newborns, rather than Albert." He continued, glancing at each vampire in turn, daring them to contradict them. None did.

"Thank you, it would be my honor sir." Walter stammered.

"Very well. I will see to it then."

With this, Henry turned on his heel and swept from the room. The other vampires followed suit, until only Albert and Walter were left. Albert turned to leave.

"Albert, wait" Walter said

Albert turned towards him. His face was full of a mix of pride and hatred. It was an understandable, yet confusing combination.

"Yes?" His tone was harsh.

"Do you know where Maria is? She has been gone for a long time."

He rolled his eyes"I don't know. And even if I did, I probably wouldn't tell you. Being nosy doesn't do you any favors in this world. You better stop doing that quickly otherwise you will end up dead."

Walter looked at him, bewildered from the harsh treatment. Albert had seemed like a fairly nice person. Sure, he had just been demoted and shamed in front of the peers that he demanded respect from, but he had gone from being friendly and welcoming to cold and detached. Albert sensed that the conversation was over, and strode grandly from the room.

Author's Note

I hope everyone is enjoying the book so far! I have been working really hard to get these chapters as good as I can, but I am open to constructive criticism and suggestions! Thank you all so much for reading. After I publish Chapter 5, I will try to update either every Thursday or every other Thursday until the book is complete. Have a great day/night!

Rey