My Episode Review on My Little Pony: Equestria Girls-Rollercoaster of Friendship

What's up, guys? How's it going today?

Today, for my second analysis on an installment of MLP's fourth generation, I'm gonna give you guys my take of "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls-Rollercoaster of Friendship".

Here's the summary of it:

Rarity and Applejack, having been previously hoping that all two of them would get a job at the theme park as caramel-apple servers, suddenly find their friendship tested when only Rarity is hired and Applejack's application is declined. And, instead of a caramel-apple server, Rarity is hired as the theme park's costume designer by internet sensation Vignette Valencia, whom (unknown to the rest of the park's residents) has motives that can very well endanger the lives of every other resident in town.

Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, and Sunset Shimmer try to have some fun at the theme park, but end up running into some misadventures along the way.

Fun fact about this review, really, is that this is the first time I've done an analysis on a specific episode of a series.

Anyway...

I thought it was an interesting episode, there was lots of great comedy, and it was a perfectly character-driven plot if I may say. I especially enjoyed the focus on Applejack & Rarity.

However, I did think that the way everyone interacted with each other needed to be toned down a little bit. It's nothing personal, but, there were certain things about the way each character interacted, such as Rarity & Applejack, that made me a little uncomfortable. It made me wonder if Confalone was forgetting that everyone was supposed to be friends and nothing more. I have felt the same way with some parts of "Forgotten Friendship" & FiM's "The Break Up Break Down", as well as the book series written by Michael Vogel & Nicole Dubuc.

My only other issue comes in the form of Vignette Valencia, because as a villain...she just wasn't very original, new, different, or fresh. Like the other villains, I enjoyed how she was made as an individual character, especially her personality & comedic timings.

But...

Overall, how she came out and the outcomes with her, especially what her intentions were, and getting reformed in the end...gave the feeling that it's the same thing over and over again.

It kind of makes me think that a brony like me can do a lot better than the actual show staff when it comes to storytelling & villains, that's for sure.

To Nick Confalone and the rest of the EG staff, all I'd like to ask is...

Please.

Please, just try to create a villain that's completely new, different, fresh, and original from the previous villains next time. Along with that, a story that could perfectly fit that villain too, as well as be a perfect enemy for our heroes.

Do it all not just for me, but, for everyone else too. It's mainly because a lot of people besides myself are starting to think EG is beginning to run its course because of those things.

What's wrong with creating more villains like that of Lord Tirek, Queen Chrysalis, the Storm King, King Sombra, and the Dazzlings? Are you guys literally willing to let yourselves continually keep going in a funk or something?

I suppose I could also pray that you guys keep your heads together, and try not to do anything too...unsettling.

In the end, "Rollercoaster of Friendship" was at the most a rather neutral episode for me. There were things that I liked about it and things that I didn't like about it, and because of that...it just wasn't one of my favorite installments.

So, I rate "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls-Rollercoaster of Friendship" three out of five stars.

(This review was originally posted on my blog on July 12, 2018)