Chapter Six

Veronica would not go back on the unknowingly final wishes of her first friend, lying through her teeth to the woman who stood in her way. From that day forth, she would focus all of her efforts into her 'plan', tucking away Hliðskjálf until she was certain that the time was right to unleash the powers it held. Years would pass, each night spent the same as the last while the empire's state progressively withered away. Buildings began to crumble, shops went unattended, and the population dwindled from the continued warfare on command of the late emperor's advisor. Though it pained her greatly, Veronica didn't have time to dwell on these matters. Her complete and utter attention was required for the task at hand. Her fingers ached more than all of the growing pains and repeated abuse ever would, having reformulated her strategy each night. If her predictions and maps held true, all would be well, and she would never have to lay eyes upon the Advisor again. To her own dismay, there was no way of scoping out the area to find out if these maps that had belonged to her late father had any weight to their accuracy, nor was there an opportunity to see to it that her path would be clear when the premeditated night came. Animosity broiled within her, the whispers around her growing louder and more steady, raising from no more than a whisper to an internalized scream. She had to get away, if not for the sake of her own waning sanity, she had to find answers one way or another.

  When the time finally came, Veronica ducked out of her room, gaze shifting from side to side down the hall. She had not come unprepared for this, knowing that she would have to be discreet if her plan was to play out anything like the elaborate scheme she had in her head. Armed guards had now dominated the halls of House Embla, but she paid them no mind. The only people she needed to worry about were the four generals recruited by the Advisor, who certainly had the physical ability to suppress her plans like a blanket over a flame, strangling the licks of fire of its required oxygen. She stepped out of the door as quietly as she could manage, cautious of the creaking floorboards, which she had put to memory. She'd had years to plot out this escape, and she would not allow a single sound to give her position away. So long as she was silent, the guards would not notice her at all, their helmets heavily obscuring their line of sight and otherwise allowing her to roam freely. Once she was certain that she was out of earshot of the guardsmen, she rushed to the stairs, clutching Hliðskjálf and her cherished tome under her arm, both items concealed by the length of her cape.

In the grand scheme of things, this opportunity was once in a lifetime. A council meeting in the cover of the night. For now, her task was to make her way as quietly as she could to the stables, taking no more than the clothes on her back, her weapon, and her most prized possession. By the time she had peeled open the door, she was greeted by the loud whinny of her mare, nourishing it with care until it was in an optimal state for her needs. It didn't need to be strong enough to take the brunt force of a lance or sword, it merely needed to move swiftly through the night and remain undetected. Now, came the difficult part. The princess snatching up the armor of her late father's steed from the rack and equipping her own mount, fiddling with buckles and clasps until they fit snug around the frame of its body. All the while, she shushed the nickers and snorts of the horse, hoping not to alert any of the guards that they were there. However, it seemed that this would not be enough, the voices of those generals able to be picked up, as well as the faint glow of lanterns that rapidly approached the wooden doors. As they were opened wider, Veronica seized her reins, leaping into position. Her feet slipped into the stirrups, a firm tug causing the mare to rear on its hind legs.

As she charged forward, the four generals had no choice but to step aside to avoid being trampled, one attempting to grab the hindquarters of their horse and leaving a small flesh wound in its wake. She had to stay focused, the pain of her mount able to be mended once she was safe, once they were both safe. Two were on foot, the third and fourth being atop a pegasus and a stallion respectively. This would only matter if they chased her, which she was certain they would, especially as her mount galloped out into the darkness of the night. In the distance, she could hear a steady hum, a faint tune that she couldn't recognize. This was her destination, and it appeared that its gentle glow was invoking her, tantalizing her closer to the embrace of freedom. However, her run was not left undisturbed, the sounds of hooves and boots clattering against the earth, wings beating harshly against the air. It was cold, but she didn't care, even if it made her skin red and chapped. Nothing would be enough to stop her!

"Don't let her escape!" a distinctly feminine voice called out to the other three members of her posse, off colored hand gesturing forward to encourage them forth. As her orders were placed, the broadest of the generals hunkered down, shoulders shifting back into position, features morphing into a more wolven shape before utilizing the extra set of legs that took place of her arms. Her large paws slapped against the earth, eyes sharp with her intention. All the while, the dark mare dashed through the night, mane blustering as the wind picked up.

  The feral general's teeth snapped at the legs of the horse, her hooves in turn kicking back at her, launching her into a tree at the forest's edge. The flier was the next to swoop down, following closely in the trees, weaving with a struggle. All the while, the mare galloped along, mud splashing up her legs as she moved. The princess guided her meticulously toward the light, gripping her staff ever tighter with her off hand. She focused, following the blue light as her steed leapt over a small stream, kicking up more dirt. It wasn't long until the dark mage and off colored woman in armor stood in her way, shielding her path once more. Veronica wasted no time in pushing the horse straight through, lifting her hips to allow it to gain force from its jump. She was so close now, the portal coming into view. It was a large grey slab with a tree-like engraving, the opening in its center no bigger than her head. If the legends were true, she would have to put faith in this, even if it were smaller than she'd ever imagined. The humming only grew louder, the princess returning its call without hesitation, for she feared it would disappear if she had not. It was like a harmony, something that came naturally as the sounds unified into one.

"No!" the blue skinned knight called out, moving as swiftly as she could, two cohorts in tow. "You can't run forever, princess! Grab her!" she ushered, the flier swooping in like a falcon, only to be thrust back by the frigid blast of Hliðskjálf, pegasus collapsing to the ground, a few feathers flying out of place as it skidded.

"May my call be heard!" Veronica bellowed between sweet vocalizations, the glow burning ever brighter. She could see its purpose. It beckoned her with promises of a better tomorrow, and that was a risk she was willing to take if it meant that she would escape the clutches of the advisor and her company. She closed her eyes tightly as she came in closer, raising her staff high and soon enough, the light had engulfed her completely.