chapter one: our promise

Behind his mother stood a young and innocent Minho. He was scared of the people that were talking to his mom and the only thing that he wanted to do was to go home and hug his plushies. He never intended to go with her but he was forced because they said that it was a really important matter.

Little Minho glanced from behind his mother, seeing about 3 to 4 adults. He was scared because there were many of them, 'what if they take me from my mother?', Minho thought.

Just when he was about to go back to his hiding position, he saw a boy that was a little taller than him. He had blonde curly locks in which he could tell that he was from another country.

The said boy looked at him, he smiled at him and waved his hand. Minho only made a little wave as his response since he didn't like to smile to strangers.

"Ah, I forgot to introduce my son!" The other lady said, grabbing the boy that Minho was looking at by the shoulder and motioning(?) for him to move forward.

"I'm Bang Chan. Nice to meet you." He said in fluent Korean, making Minho surprised. Soon enough, Minho was told to introduce himself even though he didn't plan on leaving his mother's side. He half-heartedly moved forward and took a deep breath.

"M-my name is M-minho. It's a p-pleasure to meet you." He said while hanging his head low, thinking that the foreigner-looking kid did better korean than him. Just then, he heard a few chuckles and some words like 'How cute' or 'So adorable' which made him become flustered for a few seconds.

His mother squatted so that she was on the same level as Minho, then looked him in the eye and said:

"Go and play with Channie, Minho." Minho then nodded and nervously walked towards the said playmate. They went to the garden of the ridiculously large mansion that the lady Minho's mother was talking to owned.

"Hello, my name is Chan and I'm 5!" The blonde said while showing his hand that had 5 fingers up to Minho, indicating that he knows how to count using his hands.

"M-my name is M-Minho, I-i'm f-four." He said, trying to figure out how many fingers he had to show in order to tell him that he was 4. Before he could even finish his counting, Chan chuckled and took his hand.

He folded Minho's thumb and made sure that the other fingers were standing up. He then showed it to the curious Minho then gladly said: "Four!"

They played a bit and soon enough, Minho felt comfortable around the elder. He felt warm and he felt like he was finally able to gain a friend. When they got tired, they sat on one of the benches then talked a lot.

"You're so small, Minho! When I was four, I was taller than you." Little Chan said, pointing out Minho's height.

"R-really? Does that mean we can't be friends?" Minho asked with watery eyes, ready to blame his height if Chan will not want to be his friend because he was small.

"It's not like that at all! I'm just saying that you should take care of your body more. My father always tells me to be healthy and take care of my body so I think I should tell you this too." He explained in which Minho just nodded.

"Does that mean we can still be friends?" Minho asked with glistening eyes, in which Chan found cute and attractive.

Chan smiled at Minho then said: "Of course! I'm starting to love you anyway."

Little Minho tilted his head, curious. "What's love? Can you eat it?" He asked, feeling a bit embarrassed for not knowing a word that Chan knows. Chan just laughed at him, making Minho more embarrassed.

"You can't eat love, Minho. Love is when you feel safe and comfortable around someone and you feel like you should always protect them no matter what." Chan said professionally.

"How do you know these things, Channie?" Minho asked, feeling a bit inferior to Chan.

"Ah, It's because I read books that are called dictionary when I don't have something to do."

"Is that so? Then i'll read books too, especially ditchinioaries so that I'll be able to love you too!"

Chan chuckled softly, making Minho flustered. "You don't have to read dictionaries in order to love someone. Love just, comes around."

And with that, Minho's eyes glittered. "Really? Then that means that I love you from now on!" They both laughed at each other then started to play games again. This time, they tried playing basketball in which Minho lost each and every round.

"This isn't fair! You're too tall, Channie!" Minho exclaimed, feeling the disadvantage on his side.

They stopped playing then headed towards the bench again. "That only means that you have to grow taller than me." Chan explained to Minho.

Minho nodded furiously, agreeing to the idea. "If I grow taller than you, will you marry me?" He said, now making the older blush.

"M-marry you? How did you come up with that?" Chan said, feeling flustered all over.

"Well, I remember mom telling me to marry the one that I love. She didn't tell me what love is though, so I didn't really understand."

"Then, do you know what marrying someone means?"

"Of course! It's when two people will be together forever." Minho said, proud because he knew that he knew what that thing means.

Chan just slapped his forehead, "It's much more complicated than that, Minho."

"I don't care! I love you anyways. Now, let's make a deal! If I grow taller than you, then you'll marry me!"

Chan just smiled, seeing Minho all happy made him happy too, they were friends anyway. "Okay, It's a deal. If you grow taller than me, I'll marry you."

"Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise."

And with that, their little contract has been formed.