Chapter 4

Locksley

The guest apartments were plush, and Roana's mattress, stuffed heartily with feathers, was the softest she had ever had the pleasure to lie on. Sleep came instantly, deep and dreamless, and she woke early the next morning feeling refreshed and eager for the day to begin.
There were still unresolved reservations about William niggling at the back of her mind, especially after his drunken behaviour the night before, but she decided to put them to the side for the time being and concentrate on reacquaintancing herself with her home town.
Exhilarated by the thought of meeting her brother again after so many years, she quickly washed and dressed in a plain but pretty ankle-length tunic the colour of the summer sky. Beneath the skirt, she donned hose, an addition that wasn't normal attire for a lady, but which preserved her dignity while in the saddle.
Alice arrived as Roana was attempting to pin her long, nut-brown tresses back from her face.
"My lady, you didn't wait for me." Alice's tone was mildly admonitory as she briskly moved to assist.
"Alice, much as I appreciate your help, I'm not a baby. I can dress myself," Roana replied with amusement as Alice lifted the hair from around her face and deftly twisted sections, pinning them back securely.
"Yet I can't seem to style my own hair," Roana mused, wryly, looking at her reflection in the mirror. "Thanks, Alice."
"You're awake early, my lady," Alice pointed out as Roana shrugged into her hooded cloak. "What are the plans for today?"
Roana grinned at her. "Today, we are on a secret mission," she said, knowing that Alice would be instantly intrigued.
Sure enough, Alice raised her eyebrows in query, which was the only sign of interest that her deadpan little face would allow. Roana, however, knew her too well, and surmised that her quick mind was already working overtime.
Alice was very often the voice of reason to Roana's quicksilver mood changes and indomitable hope. The maid hid an unexpectedly astute mind behind her quiet and unassuming persona, as well as a fierce hunger for knowledge. If there was ever a detail that Roana needed to know about a situation or a person, she would consult Alice, and the answer would be with her in no time. Both shrewd and curious in equal measures, Alice's approach was uncompromisingly realistic, and Roana often gave free rein to more romantic notions knowing that Alice was on hand to keep her feet firmly on the ground.
"We," Roana announced, "are going to meet my family. And, as William isn't aware I have family in Nottingham, we must leave now, before he awakens."

******

Even though she had been away for twelve years, the road to Locksley village was embedded in Roana's mind and heart. As she and Alice drew closer, her mood was immersed in nostalgia for a happier time; playing in the forest with her brother, riding out with her father, sewing in the parlour with her mother. No matter how well Robert and Eleanor has treated her, Locksley had been her childhood home, and some things could never be forgotten.
As they approached the village on horseback, Roana imagined how different her life would have been if her mother had never died, and she had remained in Nottingham. But she couldn't forget the way her father had struggled in the aftermath, and she understood that he had sent her to Filey with only good intentions. She would never regret the life Robert and Eleanor had given her, but part of her heart would always remain in Locksley.
The village came into view through the forest, and Roana felt a thrill of anticipation. She had not seen Robin in so long. What kind of person had her brother become? She knew of his trials in the Holy Land, fighting alongside King Richard in the war. Had it changed him? And would he recognise and welcome her back home after all these years?
Laughing out loud, she nudged her mount, Folly, a beautiful chestnut mare from the castle's stables, into a trot and fairly sped into the village, pulling up to wait for Alice as she surveyed her former home.
It wasn't quite what she had expected. While there were foreseen changes to the village itself, with the addition of buildings and a larger, more robust looking, church, the atmosphere was sombre. Few villagers were gathered in the main village square, and those that were hurried past each other, furtively, intent on their tasks. There was no chatting among them, no shouts of children at play. They almost seemed in fear as they averted their gazes and scuttled out of sight, carrying the tools of their trade. An air of melancholy hung over the entire settlement.
It was so different to the Locksley that she remembered, and Roana shivered in her saddle. What had happened here to cause such sadness?
"This is Locksley, my lady?" Alice caught up with her and looked around, her nose wrinkled in puzzlement. "I thought you said it was a happy place."
"It used to be," Roana replied. "I have no idea what has changed." She shrugged, baffled. "Maybe they are in mourning."
"Then let us proceed with caution and respect," Alice lead the way forward through the village square at a sedate pace. Roana followed, as ever in wonderment at Alice's wisdom, tact, and patience. All she wanted to do was cross the square at a gallop, eager to meet her brother again after so long, and to rediscover her family home. But the atmosphere in the village was a sobering influence, and she fell in behind Alice, trying to ignore the covert attention they were attracting.
Locksley Manor stood at the top of the village, four-square and made of stone and dark wood, looking strangely shuttered and closed off from the village, something which had never been the case during her childhood. The house had been inviting back then; windows open, staff and visitors bustling to and fro, a constant aroma of delicious food emanating from the kitchen. Today, it appeared to be empty, cold, and imposing.
Maybe this is how Robin prefers to live, Roana thought to herself. She hoped not. Robin had always been such a fun and adventurous boy; patiently teaching her how to use a bow and arrow when she was six, always eager to explore the forest with her, and open and friendly to the villager's children. She could not imagine him having changed; however, war could alter a man's outlook on life.
In the small courtyard that lay before the house, she dismounted and handed the reins to Alice. She noticed that the cobbled ground was spotless, swept clear, yet there were weeds sprouting from the corners of the doorstep.
As she approached, the front door opened and the familiar countenance of Thornton, her father's steward, appeared.
"Thornton!" Roana exclaimed, smiling in relief.
At least some things never changed. Thornton had worked for her father for as long as Roana could remember. He was an essential part of Locksley Manor, and the two were synonymous with each other. Roana could never think of the manor without imagining Thornton, for he had always been a constant in her early life. He had been her father's right hand man, running the house with efficiency and aplomb, always keeping a tight ship, but one that was amenable to young children who were attempting to learn about life.
He had visibly aged, and his hair was now white, brushed neatly back from his forehead, which was furrowed in consternation. However, his expression quickly changed to delight.
"My lady!" He opened his arms and Roana collapsed into his embrace, gratefully. "What are you doing here? My, how you have grown!"
"Hello, Thornton," Roana's voice was muffled in the soft cotton of his shirt; he still smelt of aniseed and boot polish, just like the old days.
She drew back to look at him properly. "I'm so glad you're still here. I was becoming worried."
She gestured behind her at the silent village.
Thornton's expression changed again at her words, and he moved quickly out of the house, pulling the door closed behind him.
"My lady, you cannot be here. Sir Guy will soon return, and I am afraid he will not be as accommodating."
"Who is Sir Guy? And where is Robin, Thornton? I heard that he had returned from the Holy Land and I wish to see him."
Thornton shook his head and began to shivvy her back to her horse. "Robin has been outlawed, my lady. He lives in the forest now. There is a bounty on his head. This is Sir Guy of Gisborne's estate now."
"Outlawed?" Roana swung round to stare at the old man, outraged. "Whatever do you mean?"
"You cannot be here, my lady," Thornton had turned a sickly shade of pale, and it dawned on Roana that he was serious. His hands remained outstretched as she hurried to Folly and swung into the saddle. "Please, leave. Quickly. Go to Knighton Hall. Speak to Marian. And avoid the main road. You will not be safe here in Locksley while Sir Guy is lord of the manor. Go now, and Godspeed."