Chapter 21

Just a Little Crush

"You really can't be seen out with us. You're supposed to be our hostage!" Robin sighed in exasperation. Roana was becoming frustrated, confined to the camp as she was each day, and Robin was becoming just as frustrated trying to keep his headstrong sister hidden away.
Since the incident on the farmer's track with the Sheriff's guards and Robin's subsequent conversation with Alice, Will had laid out extra traps in the surrounding areas to alert them to any unwelcome visitors, and the need for her to remain in camp was paramount. While Roana understood this, she couldn't help but feel restless at times. The planned trip into Clun and Locksley that morning to distribute money and food was something she would have loved to be a part of, but instead, she was required to stay away. The danger was too great, especially in Locksley now that Gisborne was ensconced in Lockley Manor, and they couldn't risk her being spotted.
"I do understand, brother," she sighed in reply, resigned to her fate. "I just feel so useless, stuck in the camp all of the time. I want to be out there, helping the poor."
"You're more help to us right now by staying in the camp and keeping an eye on things," Robin stated, firmly. "The Sheriff is looking for us, and I need to know if anybody comes near."
Roana nodded. "Fair enough. I'm going to need a weapon though." She grinned and shrugged. "Just in case."
Robin caught Little John's eye and they both laughed. News of Roana's prowess with a bow had made its way back to Robin after her rescue of Much on the farmers track, and the other outlaws had taken great delight in ribbing him about a girl potentially usurping his crown. He threw a longbow to her, which she caught easily and began to tinker with.
"Would you like me to stay behind with Roana?" Djaq offered, looking at Robin. She smiled at Roana. "Just in case."
Allan, who had been quietly listening in, spoke up, quickly and definitively. "I'll stay."
Robin looked from Djaq to Allan. "Are you sure?"
"Absolutely," Allan said, glancing briefly at Roana, who was preoccupied with her bow.
There was a pause as the other outlaws exchanged smirks and somebody sniggered.
"What?" Allan said, defensively. "I want to stay— I mean, I don't mind staying with Roana to help keep an eye on things."
"Mm-hm, sure," Will commented, turning away to hide his grin. Little John and Djaq followed, barely containing their laughter.
Robin suppressed a smile as he looked over at Roana, who had rejoined the conversation but was oblivious to the ribaldry.
"Fine by me," she said, guilelessly. "I need arrows."
"I've got arrows," Allan said, crossing to stand beside her with a quiver in his hand.
Robin raised his eyebrows, amused. "Looks like you're in good hands, then, Roana. We won't be too long."

******

Being alone with Allan felt strange. Not strange in a bad way; rather, in an oddly exciting, anticipatory way, and Roana wasn't sure why. She enjoyed spending time with all of the outlaws, together or individually, but with Allan, it was different. She couldn't deny that she found him attractive in ways that she couldn't fully explain, which made her feel a little awkward when around him. She fought valiantly to hide it, and thought she passed it off quite well. It wouldn't do to have a new member of the gang simpering around after one of the men, especially while her older brother was around too.
Allan, for his part, seemed to perk up considerably after a short, uncomfortable pause as the other outlaws left the camp. Grabbing his own bow, he smiled down at her.
"Fancy a competition?"
Roana raised her eyebrows. "Really? A competition?" She gave a devilish grin. "Well, what's the prize?"
Allan pretended to give the answer serious thought before opening his arms wide and waggling his own eyebrows. "Me."
Roana looked innocent. "And what about if I win?"
Allan clutched his chest as if mortally wounded. "Ouch. She killed me."
Roana laughed and nudged him with her shoulder, good-naturedly. "I'm kidding, of course. You'd make a fine prize. But what happens if you win?"
His blue eyes met hers momentarily, his gaze searing, and Roana's breath caught in her throat. Time seemed to pause, stretching out infinitely, before he finally shrugged and gave a bittersweet, lopsided smile, dropping his eyes. "Well, that's entirely up to you."
Roana felt like a decision had been laid at her door, but she wasn't too sure what it was, or how she should answer. Instead, she grabbed an arrow and nocked it into the bow.
"Well, if I would win you then I guess you would win me," she said, lightly. "Although I'm not really useful for much."
Allan found this inordinately funny and Roana stared at him, bemused by his laughter.
"What did I say?" She asked, innocently.
He looked at her and shook his head in amusement. "Believe me, you are more useful than you think, for a number of things and in a number of ways. You should have more faith in yourself."
Roana mused on this for a moment as Allan rummaged around the camp and found her a quiver of arrows of her own. She took them off him with a grateful smile. "But I still don't understand what was so funny?"
Allan stepped closer and hooked a finger under her chin, raising her head so he could look into her eyes. "If you weren't Robin's sister, I would show you right now how useful you could be to me."
Roana gazed at him, incomprehensibly, until it suddenly dawned on her exactly what he meant. She blushed and began to laugh, even as a thrill
of something delicious passed through her body. He liked her, just as Djaq had said!
"Oh! I didn't realise."
"Roana," Allan's voice was unusually serious. "You're gorgeous. Any man would appreciate you by their sides." He gave an ironic grin, lightening his tone. "And you chose William."
Roana groaned. "Oh, don't remind me. Although, in my defence, I didn't really choose him. I just didn't say no."
Keen to change the subject, she raised her bow and fired an arrow at the nearest tree, aiming it straight into the centre of the crude bullseye carved into the trunk. "Anyway, I'm away from him now. Beat that, A Dale."
Allan went over to inspect the tree and came back looking highly impressed. "Good shot! I think you've had more practice than you're letting on."
Roana shrugged. "It's true. I've honed my skill over the years. It comes in handy every now and again."
"Back in Filey?" Allan asked, casually, nocking his own arrow.
"Yes. William's father is the Sheriff of Bridlington, and he is on a parr with Vaisey for his vile acts of injustice. The villagers needed help at times."
Allan loosed his arrow and it flew straight at the tree, hammering into the trunk just below Roana's with some force.
Roana grinned at him. "Show off."
Allan returned her grin. "You won by a hair's breadth."
Roana affected a pensive pose. "Now, what should I do with my prize?"
Allan laughed and raised his eyebrows, suggestively. Roana coloured slightly and rolled her eyes, although she was grinning, widely.
He crossed over to pull the arrows from the tree, using the opportunity to avoid her gaze while he plucked up the courage to continue their conversation. "So, will you return to Filey?"
Roana seemed surprised at the question. "I hadn't even thought about it. I suppose I will have to at some point. But I can't imagine it being anytime soon."
Allan came back to stand beside her and handed her the arrow, looking straight into her eyes as he replied. "Good."
Taking the arrow from him, Roana was suddenly captivated by the beautiful summer-blue of his eyes, and lost the ability to speak. There was something quite strange happening in the pit of her stomach, like butterflies had been captured within and were madly flitting around.
"Roana," Allan began in an earnest tone, but was interrupted by the sound of tiny bells. He stopped abruptly and they exchanged a puzzled glance.
"What's that?" Roana managed to choke out, her curiosity only just overriding Allan's surprise effect on her emotions. She looked up into the trees above them. "It seems to be coming from up there.."
Allan moved closer and they both gazed up into the canopy above them, listening intently. The faint tinkling sound came again, carried on the breeze.
Roana gave a sharp intake of breath and clutched Allan's arm, making him jump. "It's Will's new booby trap," she exclaimed, excitedly. She looked at Allan. "Somebody is on the old farmer's track."