Chapter 12

The Weaponry

Roana was preoccupied. Confined to the castle grounds and in the restrictive presence of William, she was unable to leave Nottingham for Sherwood Forest, and, as a result, was in an almost constant state of worry about Allan. Had he done the right thing and come clean to Robin about his deal with Gisborne? She dearly hoped so, but there was no way for her to find out.
William kept a close eye on her, and had paid her a surprise visit before bed the night before, which had left Roana feeling extremely uncomfortable. He had questioned her closely about her whereabouts when she and Alice had left the castle grounds, and Roana got the distinct feeling that he suspected something. Or maybe she was just being paranoid, and he was merely initiating conversation. However, he then attempted to kiss her, and she had had to fight off his advances, claiming a headache.
"And I don't think it would be appropriate just yet," she told him, moving across the room to put some space between them. He reeked of wine and his behaviour was making her nervous. "We should wait until we are married."
For a moment, he had glared at her, formidably, and she had held her breath, hoping she wouldn't have to hit him. But then he relented, and left her room, bidding her goodnight. Roana had breathed a sigh of relief, but she knew that he would try again; such was his persistent nature. She would have to be on her guard, and limit the time she spent with him alone.
It would be difficult. The atmosphere in the castle was tense. The Sheriff was in a foul mood and erupted into fits of temper at the slightest issue, while Gisborne slunk around like a victorious panther, glowering and self-satisfied at the enforced presence of Marian and Sir Edward, who were now firmly ensconced in the castle and under heavy guard.
Marian's company was a welcome respite from the ominous presence of William, the Sheriff, and Guy, but times were not pleasant for any of them. Marian was furious at her imprisonment and worried for her father's health. Edward had been fragile for a long time, and his condition gradually worsened in the draughty halls of the castle.
"We cannot remain here," Marian bemoaned, frequently. "My father will deteriorate quickly."
But she had little choice. Knighton Hall, according to information Alice had received from the guards, was a mere cindered shell, and no longer habitable. Marian and Edward had lost everything, and had nowhere else to go.
Restless, Roana explored the castle grounds endlessly, waiting patiently for an opportunity to escape and return to the forest. Gisborne had increased the guards in the vicinity, and William stood by his insistence that she remain in Nottingham town. She had little choice but to follow his orders.
She found solace in Alice's company. The maid was an expert at concealing her presence, and had become accustomed to moving throughout the castle undetected. It was with Alice that Roana discovered the secret routes in and out of the castle, and it was here that she finally met her brother again.

******

Throughout both day and night, the castle rang with strange, distant sounds that appeared to emanate from the very bowels of the citadel. The kitchen staff spoke of ghostly beings and tortured souls, but it only took a day of lingering in dark corners for Alice to discover the truth.
The Sheriff had set up a weaponry beneath the castle, and had taken men from surrounding villages under duress, forcing them to work in terrible conditions while they fashioned a thousand swords of the best quality steel. Who the swords were for, nobody yet knew, but it did not take a genius to surmise that the Sheriff was secretly creating an army.
Marian was aghast. "We must get word to Robin," she insisted. Roana wished it were that easy. She longed to leave the castle and seek out her brother and the other outlaws, but she feared drawing attention to herself and putting Robin in danger.
However, word was already out in the villages after men were forcibly removed from their beds at night and taken away in chains. There was little doubt that Robin was already aware. Servants working in the castle gossiped in hushed tones about the anger that was simmering on the outskirts of Nottingham, and a revolt was becoming more and more likely.
When Roana and Marian attempted to enter the hidden weaponry beneath the castle, worried for the men who toiled within, they were almost caught. The area was heavily guarded and there was no way through without detection. Marian was already in a precarious position with the Sheriff and Gisborne, and did not want to be confined to her room again. They couldn't risk being caught.
However, the guards could not remain in attendance at all times. One afternoon, there was a renewed sense of energy within the castle grounds as Gisborne prepared his men for action. Something was afoot and Alice was quick to alert Roana to the small army on horseback gathered in the courtyard, lead by Gisborne and the Sheriff. William lingered on the periphery, tall and austere on his bay horse.
"This is the ideal opportunity to get at the weaponry," Roana murmured to Marian as they watched the army set off, clattering imperiously out of the castle grounds.
"I couldn't have put it better myself," Marian replied with a smile. "However, let me first check on my father. He suffers greatly today."
While Marian headed for her father's quarters, Roana made her way to the weaponry, which lay behind a heavy oak door towards the back of the castle, near the laundry room and waste chute.
The castle was eerily quiet apart from the distant echoes that emanated from the activities below ground. Roana moved silently, keeping to the shadowed sides of the corridors, as Alice had taught her. Reaching a turn in the corridor that lead towards the entrance to the weaponry, she slowed to a halt and peered around the corner.
There was only one guard remaining, but he was huge. Roana was wary; some of the guards were not very nice at all, and would leer at women as if they were pieces of meat, their language vile and intimidating. She didn't want to get involved in something that she may not be able to handle alone.
Sighing, Roana drew back, devising her next move. She would wait for Marian, who tended to have a plan of sorts, and was overall much braver than her when it came to dealing with the guards.
There was a slight movement in the shadows behind her, the faintest whisper of cloak, and, suddenly, a voice spoke, quietly, close to her ear. "M'lady. What are you doing here?"