Chapter 37

Freedom

Roana felt like she had been pacing all afternoon, and she was surprised not to see track marks across the fur rugs that lined the stone floor. She couldn't settle, confined as she was to her chambers with only intermittent visits from Alice to bring her refreshments. She hadn't seen Allan since they had been caught together by the Sheriff and Gisborne outside the guardroom, and she felt sick with worry. The guards had been called straight away, and, while she was forcibly escorted to her chambers, Allan had been taken to the dungeons.
What had happened to him then? Was he unharmed? A tumult of questions ran through Roana's mind, yet there was no way of finding any quick answers. Guards were now stationed outside the door to prevent her from escaping, as she had discovered when she attempted to leave. It would seem that she was a prisoner in her own room, and there was no way out.
Roana sighed in exasperation and more than a little unease. If only she knew what was happening out there. Alice had not yet returned since she sent her away earlier with the hairpin, and Roana was well aware that the maid was risking her life by potentially assisting in Allan and Will's escape. But Alice had been her only option, and Roana had had to try something. It was well known among the garrison that the dungeon locks could easily be bypassed by a pin-like implement, something they had learned to their detriment a couple of years back, when a highwayman had escaped using the pin from his belt buckle. Vaisey, a notorious skinflint, had been reluctant to replace the locks, and, instead, prisoners were stripped of accessories and possessions before being locked up. A hairpin would be the ideal tool to use to pick the locks. Roana only hoped that Alice had managed to get it to Allan and Will in time. She couldn't bear the thought of Allan being tortured again. Or worse.
Roana shuddered at the notion and attempted to rein back her anxiety. She would be no use to anyone in a state of despair. She had to remain positive for her own sake as well as anybody else's.
There were voices in the corridor outside, and Roana turned to the door, hopefully. It opened and William strode into the room, looking stern and holding what appeared to be a dress. He glared at her and threw it onto the bed, then came to stand in front of her with his hands on his hips. Roana's heart sank. A confrontation with William was something she did not need.
"Take those ridiculous clothes off and put the dress on," he ordered in a harsh tone.
Roana stared up at him in bewilderment and then looked at the dress. "But... why?"
"Because, my lady," William sneered. "We are getting married. Now. So, get rid of these clothes. I will not marry a common outlaw."
He grabbed hold of her arm and pulled her to him, gripping the hem of her tunic and attempting to pull it up and over her head.
Roana struggled to get away from him, pushing him away.
"Take your hands off me," she snapped, fury rising in her veins. "You have no right to touch me."
"I have every right as your husband-to-be and your lord," William bellowed, growing red in the face as he advanced on her.
Roana backed away from him, her expression one of outrage. William paused and she could see the uncertainty on his face; he had never seen this side of her.
"You are neither, William. I will NOT be marrying you, today or ever, you despicable man."
It was spoken with such finality that William came to a halt and looked at her properly, rage settling into the lines on his forehead.
"Is that so? Well, it seems to me that you have only two options today. Marry me, or hang with your outlaw friends."
Fear ran through Roana's veins at the very thought of imminent death, but it made no difference. She would rather die than marry William, and have to lie with him as husband and wife. She couldn't imagine being able to hold her head up in society as his consort, knowing that he was a treasonous lout. It was unthinkable. She would rather be in the dungeons with Allan.
She drew herself up and stared back at him, resolutely. "Then I will hang."
William snarled and made a step towards her. Whipping Djaq's dagger out of her waistband, Roana brandished it, holding it in front of her to ward him off. He stopped abruptly.
"Put that down, Roana," he said, his voice low and dangerous. "I mean it. You're being ridiculous."
"No, I am not, William," she replied, matter-of-factly. "I won't marry you. You repulse me! I follow King Richard; I will ALWAYS follow King Richard, and what you and the Sheriff are doing is wrong. I could never be a part of that."
William contemplated her words and then straightened, his face hardening into planes of indifference. "Very well, Roana. You leave me with no choice. GUARDS!" This was roared towards the door, and the two guards who were stationed outside entered quickly.
"Take her to the dungeons. She is to hang tomorrow. Ungrateful bitch!" William spat, and, with one last glare in her direction, he swept out of the room.
Roana watched him go, victoriously. Relief flooded her body as she realised that she was free. It was over; she was no longer betrothed. A huge weight was suddenly lifted from her shoulders, only to be replaced by heavy dread as she remembered her current predicament. There was no time to celebrate; she was about to hang. Turning to the guards, she pointed the dagger at them, viciously thrusting it in their direction.
"Don't come near me," she threatened, warningly. "Step a foot in my direction and I'll seriously injure you."
One of the guards laughed and spoke in an amused voice that was somehow familiar. "Watch yourself, Allan. Looks like she means business."
Allan? Astonished, Roana looked from the guard who had spoken to his companion, who pulled his helmet off and grinned at her.
"Alright, Ro? This is a rescue."
"Allan! Thank God!" Dropping the dagger with a clatter, Roana threw herself at him and he caught her in his arms, laughing. She wound her arms around him, burying her face in the crook of his neck. He smelled of sweat and, for reasons unknown, aniseed, but also of Allan, and Roana inhaled, deeply.
"Pleased to see me?" His voice was an amused rumble against her chest and she nodded, unable to speak for a moment, overwhelmed with emotion. Reading the situation, he drew back to look into her eyes and smiled, cupping her face in his hands and kissing her once, firmly.
"I'm never leaving you again," he said with certainty and she laughed, happily.
Will cleared his throat, loudly, drawing their attention to him. He bowed down low, holding out the hairpin. "Thank you, m'lady."
"It worked then?" She let go of Allan and accepted it, tucking it into her waistband along with the dagger, which she swiped off the floor.
"It was easy. A baby could have done it," Will declared, then glanced at Allan. "Now, shall we get the hell out of here before they hang us?"
"Alright." Allan looked around the room as he put the helmet back on and straightened it so the nose guard was positioned correctly. "Ro, do you want to take anything with you?"
That was the second time he had shortened her name, and Roana felt a flood of pleasure at the intimacy of the gesture. She shook her head.
"Nope. A fresh start," she said, definitively. "Let's go."
Her hands loosely secured behind her back with rope to give the illusion of capture, Roana was lead from her chambers by Allan while Will walked slightly ahead, his lance raised. Roana kept her head lowered as if in shame, yet her nerves were on high alert, ready to spring into action if they were rumbled.
Coming up to the dungeons, they readied themselves for the next part of their plan, which was to bypass them and leave the upper bailey. Once out of the Sheriff's immediate vicinity, it would be much easier to avoid detection and make their way to the gatehouse, and freedom.
First of all, they had to traverse the main keep, and get out in one piece.
"Alright, lads. What's going on here?"
Roana risked a quick glance from under her lashes as they came to a halt. They had been accosted by a group of three guards who were scrutinising her, curiously.
Will and Allan exchanged quick glances and Allan spoke up, putting on a broad, Northern accent. "She's off t'dungeons. Bridlington's had enough of 'er. She's t'hang tomorra."
With one hand on her shoulder, he moved his other down to entwine his fingers with hers, squeezing slightly.
"Seriously?" One of the guards said. "What a waste." The other guards laughed, lecherously. "What's she done?"
"Fraternising with known outlaws," Will said.
"She'll have company then. There's already one of them in the dungeon, in't there?" Said another guard.
"I've heard she's related to Hood," the third guard added. "We might get a bit of action tomorrow then, at the hanging. He'll probably come to rescue them, as usual."
The three guards laughed. "It's a shame we can't have some fun before she goes," the first guard said, thoughtfully. He reached out to run a finger down the side of Roana's breast. "She's a pretty little thing. Probably a virgin too."
Roana jerked herself away in disgust as Allan went to grab the guard by his lapels, losing his temper spectacularly.
"You what, mate?" he snarled, furiously shaking him. "Why don't you keep your hands to yourself?"
It turned into a scuffle and Will intervened, quickly. "Look, we have to get her to the dungeons now or else Gisborne will go mad. You know what he's like." He shrugged, disarmingly.
Allan let go of the guard reluctantly, although they continued to glare at each other. He took hold of Roana again and began to move off.
"What's his problem?" The first guard asked Will, jerking his head after Allan.
Will shrugged, thinking quickly. "Oh, he hasn't had a day off in a month. He needs a break."
The three guards relaxed, exchanging knowing looks and nods of solidarity. "We've all been there, mate," the third guard called after Allan and Roana. "Take it easy."
"And stop getting so attached to the prisoners," the first guard shouted, spitefully.
"Idiots," Allan said to Roana in a low voice.
"Ignore them," Roana murmured as Will caught up.
"We need to hurry," he said.
Coming around the corner to pass the dungeons and take the back exit onto the courtyard, they stopped short at the sight of Gisborne, Bridlington, and the Sheriff emerging from the underground prison, in heated conversation.
Spotting them, Vaisey looked at Roana in recognition before his eyes swept over Allan and Will and realisation began to dawn on his face.
"There they are," he yelled. "Guards! Guards!"