Chapter 33

Plotting and Planning

"Alright, let's go through it again," Robin said with more patience than he felt, as he paced across the forest clearing that the outlaws used for training. "I'll lie in the middle of the road as if I'm wounded. This should provide a distraction. While the attention is on me, John can take out the back of the convoy with Much. Djaq, you be ready to tackle any resistance at the front while Will commandeers the wagon. Any questions?"
It was the day of the ambush, and the consignment of silver promised to the black knights for services rendered would be arriving in Nottingham via Leicester. The outlaw's plan to intercept it had to be perfectly executed. They only had one chance to get this right; if they failed and the silver made its way to Nottingham Castle, then the black knights would kill Longchamp, Prince John would take over as Regent, and King Richard would not make it back from the Holy Land alive.
There was a lot of responsibility resting on Robin Hood's shoulders that bright morning, and he was determined to fulfil his promises. He knew his men could do it; yet, not all of his gang were convinced.
Robin looked to Much, who was tight-lipped, his arms crossed and a mutinous look on his face. Robin sighed.
"Much. Do you have something to say?"
"Yes," Much replied, pompously. "As a matter of fact, I do." He strode to the opposite side of the clearing and swivelled around to face the others, placing his hands on his hips. "Master, you have not thought this through properly. The silver is going to be heavily guarded, and there are only five of us. Allan has abandoned us for the castle, and we will be outnumbered. Somebody will get killed!"
Robin rubbed his head, wearily, and rolled his eyes. "Much, I know we can do this. You need to stop worrying."
"Stop worrying?" Much looked affronted. "STOP WORRYING? But, Master— you are putting yourself in grave danger by lying in front of the convoy. Why can't somebody else do that?"
"Are you offering?" Little John said, mildly, and there was muffled laughter from Will and Djaq.
Much glared at him. "Well, no. But what about you, or Will or Djaq? Why should my master put himself in danger?"
The other outlaws stared at him in disbelief, and Much raised his chin, obnoxiously. Robin crossed over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.
"Much, my old friend. I appreciate that you worry for my safety. But you know me. I'll be fine. We will all be fine because we always are. And besides," he turned to face the rest of the gang with a dazzling smile. "I have an additional plan that I was saving for later."
"Another plan?" Will replied, as he and Djaq exchanged puzzled glances.
"Yes," Robin replied, distractedly. "That's if our loyal friend keeps up his side of the bargain..."
Bushes rustled nearby and Djaq and Much both drew their swords, hastily. But Robin was smiling into the greenwood surrounding them as Allan appeared from the foliage.
"Gents." He grinned at them all, then nodded at Djaq. "And Djaq."
"Traitor!" Little John exclaimed, cheerfully, as the others moved forward to greet him.
"Alright, mate?" Will clapped him on the back while Djaq sent him a warm smile, sheathing her sword.
"You're back then?" Much tried to hide his pleasure, but there was a definite smile on his face.
"Not just yet," Allan replied. "But I've brought reinforcements." He gestured behind him, and it was then that the gang saw his companions.
The six men they had rescued from Vaisey's weaponry, and who had since been living in the secret village, Second Chance, were clustered in a group, awaiting instructions. Each man was armed with a weapon, looking determined and in far better shape than they had previously.
"Welcome!" Robin moved forward to greet them, smiling broadly. "Roger, Sam, Edwin, Barric, Godwin, and Stewart."
He made sure to address each man by name, which was his wont; touching a forearm here, slapping a back there, and inquiring after the men's families. Even after over a year living as an outlaw, he was still the benevolent nobleman, and the villagers loved him for it. It inspired their loyalty.
"We're here to help," Roger spoke up, a stocky grain merchant from Locksley village. "Whatever you need us to do, we'll do it. We owe you our lives."
Robin went to him, placing a hand on each shoulder. "And we are grateful. But what we plan to do may be dangerous. My men and I will do the hard work; what I need from you is a diversion." He looked at the gathered men. "Do you think you can manage that?"
The men all nodded, decisively.
"Allen here has told us what we should expect," Edwin, Clun's potter, said. "If it's to save the king, then we're in."
Robin nodded in satisfaction and turned to Much and Little John. "Run them through our plan. We need them up to speed by noon. I'll be with you once I've spoken to Allan."
As a happier Much began to herd the men after John, Robin turned to Allan.
"They're in better shape than they were. It should go well."
Allan nodded at his quiet confidence. Robin was certain of the outcome, which boded well for the ambush. There was no room for doubt and uncertainty, especially not today of all days.
"I know it will," he said. "And hopefully, we can get Roana out of the castle sooner rather than later."
Sensing the nuance in his tone, Djaq spoke quickly. "Is she alright?"
"She is, but no thanks to Bridlington," Allan replied, grimly. Robin raised his eyebrows.
"He got a little hands-on yesterday. Downed a gallon of wine and decided he wanted more than Roana was prepared to give." Allan's expression was sour. "I managed to get there in time, but if I hadn't.."
Djaq looked worried, and Will moved closer to her, placing a hand on her shoulder.
"Is there anything we can do?"
Allan shook his head. "I'm keeping a close eye on her. But we should be out of there soon, right?"
They all looked to Robin, who appeared pensive. He thought for a moment before speaking. "Hold tight for just a little bit longer. Let's get the ambush out of the way first. As soon as the silver is safe, we'll come for you." He looked at Allan, his expression serious. "And thanks for this, Allan. I really do appreciate it."
Allan gave a quick smile, preparing to take his leave. "I'm doing this for Roana, Robin. She needs me."