|C.30|

ⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰ

ⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰⴰ

For a long moment, no one said anything. Blake's body went alert, she felt as if she was walking on needles, clinging to her seat for Thomas's next words. Blake was so eager to hear what he had to say next. She wondered what Thomas meant. Or why his face was sweaty and stony, why his gaze never fell to one person.

Newt looked completely baffled, finally broke the growing silence. "What are you talking about?"

"Well, first there's something I have to share. About me and Teresa. There's a reason Gally accused me of so much stuff, and why everyone who has gone through the Changing recognizes me."

"Similar to Blake. Teresa and I are ... different," he continued. "We were part of the Maze Trials from the very beginning—but against our will, I swear it."

Blake's eyebrows pinched together in confusion. "What do you mean similar to me?"

"Teresa and I were used by the Creators like you, Blake. If you had your full memories back, you'd all probably want to kill us. But I had to tell you this myself to show you we can be trusted now. So you'll believe me when I tell you the only way we can get out of here."

Thomas took a deep breath, then said something Blake never thought would come from his mouth. "Teresa and I helped design the Maze. We helped create the whole thing."

Blake didn't expect it, but she felt a wave of relief. She wasn't the only puppet, the only person to create something horrible. Blake's lips formed into an unexpected smile.

"I don't understand why I'm still surprised, I mean, Blake did make the shucking Grievers," Newt finally said. "But I can't believe two bloody sixteen-year-olds could have created a whole Maze."

"Well, we were ... smart. And I think it might be part of the Variables. But most importantly, Teresa and I have a ... gift that made us very valuable as they designed and built this place."

Blake raised her eyebrows. "What gift?"

"We...Well, we..."

"Speak!" Newt yelled. "Spit it out!"

"We're telepathic! We can talk to each other in our freaking heads!"

Blake was shaking her head in complete awe, Newt was blinking in surprise; someone coughed.

"But listen to me," Thomas continued, defensively. "They forced us to help. I don't know how or why, but they did." He paused. "Maybe it was to see if we could gain your trust despite having been a part of them. Maybe we were meant all along to be the ones to reveal how to escape. Whatever the reason, with your Maps we figured out the code and we need to use it now."