|C.34|

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

Blake felt the weight of the world pushing on her shoulders. Her stomach knotted, twisted so tightly. Her nerves making her feel sick. She tried shaking thoughts—unbearable thoughts—out of her head. Trying not to think about anything. She needed to act brave. In reality she was terrified, not of dying, but of watching her friends die. The blood on her hands. The weight of guilt burying inside her.

All of this terrified her.

They'll be fine, she told herself. But she knew all too well, hated that it was a lie.

Blake bit her lip, grabbing her backpack. Chuck and Thomas did the same, and they headed for the West Door, the one leading to the Cliff, to the Griever's hole. To the Grievers...

Blake found Minho and Teresa talking to each other by the left side of the Door, going over the hurriedly made plans to enter the escape code.

"You shanks ready?" Minho asked when they came up. "Thomas, this was all your idea, so it better work. If not, I'll kill ya before the Grievers can."

"Thanks," Thomas mumbled, his expression ghostly.

"If anyone dies out there—you'll be paying for my therapy." Blake joked. She poked Minho's arm, he looked at her with a playful annoyed expression. "So don't die out there, ding-dong."

Minho grinned. "Right back at you, slinthead."

"You okay?" Thomas asked Teresa who was wringing out her hands, moving from foot to foot.

"I'm fine," she answered with a small smile, looking around nervously. Her eyes caught Blake's for a long moment. "Just anxious to get it over with."

"Amen, sister," Minho said. Blake knew Minho was brave, but the calmness on his face made her think he was a bit crazy.

Blake was so nervous she could hardly breathe.

Soon Newt had finally gathered everyone, called for quiet, and they all turned to hear what the Keeper had to say. "There're forty-one of us." He pulled the backpack he was holding onto his shoulders, lifting a thick wooden pole with barbwire coiling around its tip. Blake gripped her weapon harder. "Make sure you've got your weapons. Other than that, isn't a whole lot to buggin' say—you've all been told the plan. We're gonna fight our way through to the Griever Hole, and Tommy here's gonna punch in his little magic code and then we're gonna get payback on the Creators. Simple as that."

Blake rolled her eyes at simple. This wasn't going to be simple at all. The Grievers weren't gonna go down easily, Blake was sure of it. She closed her eyes thinking of Seven. Would he kill a Glader? Probably, he was a Griever after all. The thought caused an overwhelming sadness wash over her. Would she be able to kill Seven after he saved her life?

"Shouldn't someone give a pep talk or something?" Minho asked, pulling Blake back from her depressing thoughts.

"Go ahead," Newt replied.