Chapter 6 : An Unexpected Connection

The last day of renovations finally arrived and Victoria couldn't be happier. Because she physically wasn't able to sleep, all she could do was walk around the cathedral, and admire the beautiful architecture that was still intact. She also sometimes thought of different tricks to try, since she could walk through walls.

"Okay, it's the last day of reconstruction, one more day of work people! You can do it guys! Don't give up now, we're almost done," Victoria heard the head of the reconstruction team say. "Even though he wasn't talking to me, I'm gonna take his advice," Victoria said, "I won't give up!" Victoria shouted as loud as she could. Then while the reconstruction team was discussing who was doing what, one of them slightly turned his head, with a confused expression on his face. "Uh, guys?" the man asked as he turned his head back. "Yeah Josh?" another man answered. "Did any of you guys hear, I don't know, like a weird sound? Like a shout of some sort?" Joshua asked, becoming slightly nervous. "Don't even try to scare us again. You already got us with the clown incident last week," the man next to him asked. "I guess I'm just hearing things," Joshua replied with his head slightly down. But Joshua was sure that he heard someone shout. The whole time Victoria was watching and listening to their conversation. She was speechless. She didn't think that if she just shouted, someone could actually hear her. "Okay, got it?" asked the head of the reconstruction team asked. "Yes sir!" the rest of the team, except for Joshua, who just had his head hung low.

"Hey bro, you good?" asked another worker, patting Joshua's back. "Yeah Felix. Just tired I guess," Joshua replied with a fake smile. "Come on dude! You know I can tell when your smile is real or not. Tell me what's wrong," Felix said as he lightly punched Joshua's shoulder. "It's just that.... Okay you have to promise me that you won't think I'm totally insane first," Joshua said in a serious tone. "I promise," Felix replied with his right hand over his heart and left hand in the air. Joshua took as deep breath and then told Felix everything. "So, when Matthew was explaining the plan earlier, I heard someone shout 'I won't give up!', it was a girl's voice. It was a clear voice. But when I told you guys about it, you didn't believe me," Joshua explained, his tone getting more annoyed with every word. "I think it's just exhaustion. I mean, you have been getting up at like 4.30 every morning, working the whole day and getting home at like 12, and going to sleep at who knows what time. So it's probably just exhaustion. Don't worry dude," Felix said, still not believing what Joshua said. "Yeah okay," Joshua replied.

Felix walked off, leaving an annoyed Joshua glaring at him from behind. After 30 seconds of glaring at his best friend, Joshua turned around and began walking towards his work area, with his head hung low. When he looked up, he saw something that made him jump slightly. He saw a teenage girl sitting with her back against the wall, hugging her knees while staring at him. "Excuse me miss, you aren't allowed to be in here," Joshua half shouted, which was loud enough to be heard by the whole construction team. "Uuummm, Josh? Who are you talking to?" Matthew asked looking to where Joshua's eyes were fixated on. "Can't you see? There's a girl over there," Joshua replied while pointing to where Victoria was sitting. "Uh.. Josh? Hate to break it to you, but there's nothing there," Matthew said, mockingly, while looking at Joshua like he was crazy, which made the rest of the construction team chuckle. "I'm looking at her right now! She has long brown hair, a purple hoodie and black jeans! Can't you see her?!" Joshua shouted at them, beginning to lose it. "Guy's he's just exhausted. Don't worry about him," Felix said trying to break the frustration filled tension in the room. "NO! There is a girl there! I'm not crazy! I'm not seeing things! There is a girl there!" Joshua shouted, becoming more and more furious. "Whatever dude," said Lucas, another member of the construction team, while putting both his hands in the air surrendering sarcastically. Joshua screamed before speed walking towards Victoria. "Miss can you please leave?" Joshua said trying to grab Victoria's wrist, only to end up stunned because his hand went right through her wrist. "What on earth?" Joshua said, before trying again, but also failing again.

Joshua took a step back in shock. "What are you?" Joshua said, not taking his eyes off of Victoria. "You can see me?" Victoria asked slowly, also stunned. "Yeah, I can see you. My name is Joshua. Joshua Smith. It's very nice to meet you... umm" Joshua introduced himself, waving slightly. "Victoria. Victoria Ross. It's very nice to meet you too Joshua," Victoria replied with a warm smile.

"Hey Josh! You talking to the imaginary girl again? Are you seriously that lonely?" Zack, another member of the construction team, shouted, making the rest of the construction team burst out laughing. "Oh ha ha. REAL funny Zack," Joshua snarled back at the whole construction team. "Don't worry about them. I don't think they can see me. I guess you're special," Victoria said while standing up and attempting to poke Joshua's shoulder, but obviously failing. Joshua chuckled at her failed attempt.

Their eyes met for what seemed like an eternity, but the moment was broken by Lucas walking up to Joshua and snapping his fingers in front of his face. "Dude, I think you're hallucinating. I think we should take you to a doctor," Lucas said looking at Joshua with a worried expression on his face. Felix walked up to the 2 men and put his right hand on Joshua's shoulder. "I think Lucas is right. We need to take you to a doctor dude," Felix said, agreeing with Lucas. Joshua flicked Felix's hand off of his shoulder and walked off, only to be followed by a curious Victoria.

Victoria continued to watch Joshua work for the rest of the day. They started to chat, and kept chatting, getting to know each other. Until it was time for Joshua to go home. " So, do you think I'll see you again?" Joshua asked, with a small smile on his face. "I don't know, it depends if you come back here. I'm not going anywhere, mostly because I can't," Victoria said. They both chuckled. "Hey Josh! Could you ask the girl for her number? I wouldn't mind a little fun for a change. Plus I need something to take my mind off of Merissa," Zack said to Joshua, mockingly. "Yeah, but I don't think anyone would want you considering that attitude of yours," Joshua replied with a smirk. Felix threw an arm around Zack's shoulders and said, "Don't worry bro, I'm sure you will find someone very soon." Zack wiggled his way out if Felix's grip and said, "Okay bro, chill. I don't like you THAT much." Felix gave him an unimpressed face that clearly said 'seriously dude?'.

Everyone laughed and walked out the door. But Joshua stayed behind, saying goodbye to Victoria. " I'll definitely be at the re-opening ceremony to see you again, you're an amazing person," Joshua said with a smile. "I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you," Victoria replied, also with a smile. Just a Joshua was about to start walking away, Victoria stopped him by saying, "Thank you for today. I've been so lonely for the past 5 years. I'm so happy that I have a friend that can actually see me now." Joshua smiled and replied, "You're welcome, Victoria. I'm just sorry I didn't notice you earlier, we could have seen each other everyday and been good friends... Or maybe something more," Joshua said shyly, looking away. "Yeah, maybe," Victoria replied shyly, also avoiding eye contact. "Josh! You coming?" Matthew called from the door. "Uh, yeah! I gotta go. I'll see you soon Victoria!" Joshua said waving to Victoria. "Yeah. Bye Joshua!" Victoria replied, also waving. After Joshua left, he stuck his head around the corner and said to Victoria, "You can call me 'Marshmallow'. Everyone calls me that." The Joshua winked at Victoria and left.

A sad smile krept onto Victoria's face, and she whispered, "That's what my parents used to call me."