2. ●Neighbors and Friends●

Amaya had a tough week, the whole week she is flying because some other co-pilots were on sick leave. Now the good thing is she got off for two weeks straight and all Amaya wants now is to sleep. But the sudden sound of doorbell makes her to groan.

Opening the door, reveals a unfamiliar face.

"Yes?" Amaya breaks the silence.

A sudden increase in heartbeats makes Zain silent, the same feeling he got years ago. Controlling his crazy heart he finally answered.

"Hey! I am Zain Amir, your new neighbour."

"Oh!! Hello, please come inside."

Coming inside the first thing caught his eyes are two suitcases.

"You came back today from some trip? Sorry to disturb you, I can come again next time."

"Zain you are way to formal. And for a fact no I came back last night and these two are on go suitcases. And it's alright, now tell me coffee or masala chai."

"Masala chai, for sure"

"Yeah I think we are gonna be friends then. Hey, Amaya Kareem here."

"I'm.."

"Zain Amir I already know, now don't think me as a stalker or something

"I doubt that. Are you sure the masala chai won't kill me Amaya?"

"For a fact, people die to have my masala chai."

"Chai key liya marte ya chai pene se marte?"

"Yeh toh peene ke baad malum hoga janab."

Making her special masala chai and some pakora, they settle themselves in her living room. The sun is around the horizon and the transparent glass window gives a view worth watching it. There is something about the sky that always attracts Amaya and Zain too. Amaya's love for sky is much prominent, she chose to be a pilot because of that only. Zain finds peace looking at the sky, and certain feeling is there today.

Sipping the tea, he closes his eyes, letting his taste buds feel the milky smooth texture, the aroma itself is enough to say how good the masala chai is, but now tasting it, he feels delighted.

"It's heaven Amu.. I mean Amaya sorry.. I just.." He himself doesn't know what got him, and he called her Amu. For crying out loud it's their first meeting and he is being way to friendly, what if she gets it all wrong? what if..

"Hey I like it actually, you can call me Amu. I don't mind. And thank you, don't worry it doesn't have poison."

"Laat lag jani hai iss chai ki mujhe."

"Toh theek yaar, ajaya karna yaha. Two weeks off hai mera bhi, eklaute dost ho tum mere yaha."

"Well ofcourse I will. Oh! before I forget why I am here for today, the water supply is not working, I need you to come with me.." Before he can say anything further Amaya cuts him off.

"It's 15th of the month Zain, water supply will be turned off on this day every month on this floor. I think you didn't read the documents."

"Shit man."

"Hey it's alright. Let it be now, see it's beautiful outside."

The petrichor engulfs them in it's essence making them enjoy the serein. The month of June signifies many thing, most amazing is how certain things can be beautiful yet gives us pain. How beautiful the blazing sun is, yet painful sometimes, so is life. An end means a new beginning too, perhaps a much needed one here.

"Beautiful indeed."
Looking at Amu, Zain whispered.

His heart is beating a bit extra today. Today in years he feels something. Amaya is cracking jokes every now and then till now, but the view in front sky made her silent.

There is a smile on her face, a smile of relief, a smile of being content, yet her eyes tells his a different story for few seconds. He saw pain there and all he wanted is to take away that pain. She deserves happiness. This feeling is something new to Zain, which he can't put words to, but this time around he won't stop himself to feel something.

Years later they made new friends today. Destiny had played it's card with them, away from family they are going to be their family from now on. Friendship is the most democratic relation one will ever have. Friends is the family one chose for themselves, and today Amaya chose Zain to be one, and for Zain, there is something much more in his heart which he is yet to realise for his Amu.