5: Meeting a Beloved Bed

+••

All three of the maids gestured for them to follow. Yixue glanced at the Pope and the king before silently letting the maids lead her and the other two girls to the quarter, then to the room that she was given. Since the maids seemed to have no intention to strike a conversation with them, Yixue didn't bother to do the same. Instead, she was engrossed in her thoughts, digesting the things that had happened to her.

She was astonished to the point she wanted to laugh at her absurd fate; not only had she transmigrated once, but twice too. First, it was an ancient China fantasy world, now, it was apparently another fantasy world but with western aspects. This made her question what purpose her life had—if there even was one. Moreover, could she even completely die? Perhaps she would transmigrate into another world again if she ended up dying in this world. Was she fortunate or cursed?

Yixue didn't know what to think about it, but a relief gradually washed over her. At least she didn't have to worry about the people in her past. Su Meilan, Ming Wuzhan, and... that man—all of them were no longer a part of her life, nor could they harm her again.

Before she knew, the maids stopped in their tracks and they had already reached the so-called Hero's quarter that was a part of the enormous castle they had entered earlier. One of the maids motioned for Yixue to follow and she did. After some brief walking, the maid opened the door to her room, and inside was a spacious room with a fireplace and a king-sized bed.

The bed was decorated with soft-looking pillows and layers of blankets, this kind of bed was something she hadn't seen for many years, for they didn't exist in her previous life. She used to sleep on a wooden bed with a thin mattress, and many hard surfaces, which all weren't remotely as comfortable as any modern bed. The bed in front of her was unexpectedly similar to those modern beds she had once known.

On the spur of moment, small beads of tears formed in her eyes and flowed down across her face.

'You are my bed? Oh, how I've longed for you, baby.' If Yixue carried a handkerchief, she would have used it to wipe away her tears of happiness. She could finally sleep in a soft and cozy bed, wasn't that just a blessing?

The maid she followed finally opened her mouth and the first thing she said was: "Miss Hero, may I ask why you are crying?"

Yixue quickly composed herself at the words and without batting an eye, she denied. "No, you may not. What crying? It was just your imagination."

"My imagination?" The maid looked at her dubiously.

Nodding, Yixue affirmed. "Indeed. As a maid, you must have worked hard today. With so much work, it must have tired you out thus you happened to see wrongly."

"Is that so? I see..." She did do extra work this morning. Maybe Miss Hero was right and she was only being tired. Besides, now that she looked again, there wasn't any sign of crying on the hero's face.

That was not good, she couldn't be clumsy with her work. The maid was determined to help the hero more since she had made such a mistake. "Miss Hero, the bath has been heated and ready to use. Please let me help you with bathing."

Yixue looked at the formal maid who had a face of resolution and she couldn't help but smile at her awkwardly. She lightly cleared her throat before she asked, "What's your name?"

The maid didn't expect the Hero to ask for her name, but she calmly replied, "It is Ilene, Miss Hero."

"Ilene? It sounds pretty."

The maid bowed. "Thank you for your praise, Miss Hero."

Yixue smiled softly and said, "Well, Ilene, I would like to bath on my own. There are still a lot of things I want to think alone."

Hearing this, the maid was hesitant about what to say. She wanted to help but in the end, what was more important was the Hero's comfort. "Are you certain? If that is so, I will show you where the things are."

"Thank you, Ilene."

After the maid was done with guiding and showing Yixue, she quietly left the room. Yixue could finally take a deep breath and completely relax. As she was about to undress, she realized that her clothes weren't burned, just tattered. Not only that, but she also wasn't severely injured from the fire and the crush. Compared to that girl who was stained with blood and had possibly died too, she didn't have a single drop of blood on her.

The longer she thought about it, the more she remembered her death experience, Yixue felt her breathing become difficult and heavy. She knew she shouldn't have accepted that damned mythological beast as her pet!

The next second, Yixue shook her head and slapped her cheeks to return to her senses.

'Yixue, stop thinking, stop talking, just shut up.'

After calming herself down, she looked at the steaming bath and sighed before taking off her green robes. She felt something in the pocket and without thinking, she took out the thing. It was a small jade bottle and inside contained the liquid she refined and was sought after by cultivators. It was the Elixir of Immortality. The hand that held the bottle trembled slightly.

'So you got dragged with me, huh.' Yixue shifted her gaze to the spatial ring on her middle finger. 'And so did you...'

Closing her eyes, she calmed her mind and attempted to use the spatial ring but there was no response from it. No matter how much she tried, it remained unmoving. However, Yixue wasn't surprised; she had already felt that the spiritual energy she was used to could no longer be detected in this world. For her to activate her spatial ring, spiritual energy was needed and since that kind of energy didn't exist here, the ring was useless.

All of the collections she had gathered throughout the years were now lost and she could feel her heart shatter in millions of pieces. They were still there, laying in her ring, but she wasn't able to get access to them—just how miserable was that?

'My legendary items, my money, my hard work, my pills, ah... Fuck your goddamn mother!'

Yixue entered the bath and sank down as her tears of pain and sorrow got mixed with the water.

It was best that she was going to get rare items in this world for compensation, otherwise... she might as well dig the Pope's and the King's graves. No, she would dig everyone's graves.

Only when she felt like she was short of breath did she sit up and pulled her head out of the bathwater. Her wet black hair blocked her sight so she combed it with her fingers before resting her back in the wooden tub. She lifted her head and stared at the pale brick ceiling with her pair of green jade-colored eyes as she got lost in thought.

'Angels, demons, the Demon King, and God of Light, was it?' Those words sounded ridiculous but Yixue had no problem believing that they existed in this world. Whether it had the same concept as in her original world, she wasn't sure. However, in her previous world, an immortal cultivator was akin to being a god, maybe it was something similar to that in this world.

From being a doctor to being a cultivator to being a hero... It was quite random.

Furthermore, as a hero, she must defeat the Demon King, along with two other people like her. For the people of this world to summon people from another world, the Demon King must be a terrifying existence.

'Hm... Is he like a demonic cultivator or a real demon?' Yixue pondered, but she couldn't reach a conclusion as she had nothing on him.

Either way, she would meet him in the future so there was no use to speculate. As for the two girls that got summoned along with her, one of them looked to be wearing some sorts of a hospital gown, could she be from the same world she originally came from? The other one seemed to come from a western period with the way she was dressed, either that or she was only cosplaying. After all, she did mention the term.

She wondered what her next step was, now that she had become a hero people needed. In honesty, she didn't exactly know why she accepted it. A hero was something she would never want to become. What kind of hero would kill someone like they were an ant? What kind of hero was selfish? She didn't have the qualities.

However, gaining profits from being a hero didn't sound bad at all.