Way to Him

As Lan Zhan saw the dimming lights of the lantern in the streets he was forced to accept that despite his tremendous efforts he lost his husband again. But this time he knew Wei Ying wasn't safe. This time he needed to show up without failing. What was he supposed to do? He was torned between the choices that were present in front of him. As much as he wanted to go  to find Wei Ying, he had to make sure his kids were safe first. Wei Ying would never forgive him, even he won't forgive himself if something happened to those kids.
At the inn when those kids saw him they were so happy.
JY: Yay!  Rich GeGe is here
SZ: where is mommy!? Will he be home late?
JY: We've been waiting for you whole day we want to play with you and mommy. We both missed you.
Lan Zhan couldn't bring the heart to tell them what happened, nor the heart to lie to them. Unable to say anything he kept quiet. For a face that doesn't show any emotions, his disappointment and sorrow was clearly evident.
LZ: We must leave Caiyi Town.
SZ: but it's so dark.
JY: Yes Yes. It'll be even darker when mommy gets back.
LZ: he won't be coming back. We must leave without him.
SZ:Why! *starts crying* we promised we will never abandon him. We will wait for him.  He will come back!
JY: You can go back! We will wait for him
LZ: He can't come back. Let's go back. I promise I will bring him back to GuSu.
Both start crying but they couldn't bring the courage to refuse hanguanjun, so they follow his orders while sobbing. Lan Zhan carried both of them, as they were really messed up from crying.
As he reached in GuSu he took those kids in the Jinshi and played his GuQin to soothe them. As soon as they calmed down and fell asleep Lan Zhan went to his brother.
LZ: Brother, I apologize for disturbing you so late, but this matter is really urgent.
XC: What is it Wangji? Your presence here at this hour makes it evident how important this must be. Is something wrong with the kids?
Lan Zhan shakes his head
XC: Wei GongZi?
He remains quiet and almost motionless but Xichen caught the very subtle nod of despair and affirmation in Lan Zhan's expression.
XC: Tell me everything, spare no details.
Lan Zhan tells him everything that he could possibly recall, as asked he spared no detail.  He was worried how his brother would react to Wei Ying being Yiling Laozu, but he was glad when his brother didn't make a big deal out of it.
LZ: What shall we do brother? The kids are really missing their mother.
XC: and you? Isn't he your mate?
Lan Zhan looks down unable to say anything. He was proud to have Wei Ying as a mate but at the same time ashamed of himself as he failed to protect his mate. He was worried how Wei Ying will be treated in GuSu if their past is discovered by the sect.
Xichen sensing Lan Zhan's discomfort didn't pester him further.
XC: Don't worry. I promise him we will find him. Get some rest. You need to be in your best health to fight Xue Yang when we find him.
LZ:Mn.
As he exited from his brothers room he heard a noise behind the walls. Suddenly alert, he almost flew there and was about to take out Bichen when he noticed it was the kids.
LZ: You should be asleep, not here.
SZ: We wanted to know about mommy, you wouldn't tell us *sobs*
JY: If Xue Yang took mommy, will mommy be fine? *sobs * Mommy told us he is very dangerous .
LZ: You've met him before?
SZ: Yes. Once he tried to give us candy when we were little. *sobs*
JY: Mom was very angry when he found out that we followed the candy man to find out where he lives.*sobs*
SZ: Mommy told us he is an evil man.He forbade us to ever go near him.
Lan Zhan started to think of a way to find his lair. It was evident that the kids couldn't tell him the exact location which left him with the only option. He had to take the kids with him. But he just took them away from danger. How can he take them back there?
LZ: Tomorrow we will go to save him. You should sleep for now.
Lan Zhan goes back to his brother with this newfound information and tells him his plan. His brother agrees to send few more disciples along with his brother and the kids so that he has all the help that he needs. In fact he himself decides to go there with them.
At dawn as the sun rose for the first time the kids woke up along with the GuSu disciples. They were very eager to find their mother.
As Lan Zhan took the kids and traced their way back with them, he realized how poorly his abandoned family lived. When he saw the cave they lived in, he wanted another 300 whips on him for putting his husband through all that.
Lan Zhan never expected the lair to be Guanyin Temple, it was indeed quite ironic.
LZ: kids I need you to stay with Zewujun here.
Both: But we want to see mommy too!
LZ: I'll bring him back here. I need you guys to stay here so that if he tries to run away you can catch him.
XC: Wangji is right. Capturing Xue Yang won't be easy. We all need to stay alert. *looks at kids* Don't you want to help me take down Xue Yang?
Both: Yes!!
JY: He hurt mommy. We will punish him.
Lan Zhan looked at his kids admiring their nature for justice. He gave his brother a very slight nod, which anyone would fail to see.
As he pressed his ears to the door, he heard Xue Yang's voice
XY: Now enough of nonsense, tell me where is the Yin Metal and I let your son and husband live. And if you don't, you can kiss them goodbye.
Before he could proceed further Lan Zhan suddenly attacked the door breaking it into millions of pieces like some thin ice.
LZ : Who wants to kiss goodbye.
WY: *shocked* Lan Zhan
LZ: Wei Ying