Chapter 1: Return

Chapter 1: Return

As the sun started rising from the east, and the populace of Konoha was stirring from their sleep, there lived one boy. A blonde young boy with cerulean eyes, whose energy was through the roof, and his grin not threatening to falter.

"Man, oh man! It's the day, it's the day, it's day!" He joyously repeated as he took off his familiar bright orange jacket from the rack.

"I'm finally gonna be a ninja, finally-ttebayo! Hell yeah!"

It was just after the day of the Genin team assignment for the newly graduated students of the academy. Uzumaki Naruto, the boy who was considered the pariah of Konoha had finally graduated after almost a decade.

For Naruto, this was a big joyous occasion. After so long of being stuck as a student, he was now going to become a ninja, just like he wanted for so long. Though a lot of people had tried to stop him, he had proved again and again that he had what it takes to become a shinobi.

After being assigned to his new team, he quickly went to bed so that he wouldn't be late to meet his new sensei. He was so excited that he barely got a wink of sleep last night as a result.

As he put on his jacket, he quickly took a bite of his breakfast — a cup of ramen that he had gotten yesterday, and a cup of water — as he took note of his equipment.

"Jacket, check. Water-" He said as he quickly gulped down his glass of water "-check. Kunai, check! I'm ready!"

He took a bite of his noodles as he looked at the clock. "Shi- I'm almost late! Gotta go!" He said as he quickly slurped down his noodles and ran out of his room.

■■■■■

"What do you think, Kakashi?"

Kakashi looked at the hokage, the old man donning the iconic hokage robe once known as the God of Shinobi, Sarutobi Hiruzen.

"They're...interesting." Kakashi said with a pause. "Though, I assume I was assigned to the team because I have the Sharingan, no?"

"More or less." Sarutobi shrugged.

"Maa, even if the Uchiha was a special case he'll still have to pass the bell test. If they fail, then-" he shrugs "-they fail."

"If the council wants to assign me the Uchiha, then they better hope his teammates pick up the slack. It doesn't mean that I have the sharingan, doesn't mean I'll change my test to satisfy their demands." Kakashi said frankly with a bit of a drawl.

"I admit, that was the case, assigning you to the Uchiha boy. For me, however, there is another reason."

Kakashi raised a brow as he continued to listen to Sarutobi.

"It's a very sentimental action, but I think... it is for the best, don't you?"

"Oh. Do you mean...him?" Kakashi asked, with Hiruzen nodding in confirmation.

"I do hope that you guide the boy. You're forced to do your duties as the council told you to do, but as the boy's supposed guardian..."

"Understood, Hokage-sama" Kakashi nodded as he eyed the boy, Uzumaki Naruto, running through the streets.

■■■■■

"Geez, you're late!" Naruto and Sakura shouted at the silver-haired jounin. He looked at them with an eye smile, and a subtle crease on his mask as he rubbed his head apologetically.

"Thereee...was... a... black cat down the street so I had to go the other way and retrace my steps."

"Such an obvious liar!" Naruto and Sakura retorted, annoyed at the silver-haired jounin. Sasuke watched the scene with a frown on his face. Kakashi shrugged as he carefully eyed his new students.