4 | 愛

"You know the secrets I could never tell
And when I'm quiet you break through my shell
Don't feel the need to do a rebel yell
'Cause you keep my feet on the ground."

-Miley Cyrus

"I don't understand why you don't like her."

Iwaizumi had long given up on trying to respond to Oikawa's incessant questions; he knew he had no answer. 

"Iwa-chan?"

Iwaizumi tried to find an excuse to hate her, but it was almost as if she were made just to spite him. Nakano was Iwaizumi- the Iwaizumi that existed in his head and was ideal for Oikawa. He cleared his throat.

"I thought you would be happy for me," Oikawa continued, hurt evident in his voice.

He'd thought so too. Iwaizumi thought he'd made peace with the idea of Oikawa loving someone else, but the truth was seen clearly through his actions.

Earlier by the lockers, she'd listened as Oikawa introduced them, sincere delight reflecting off her brown pupils as she graced them with her smiles. Oikawa looked at her like she was Aphrodite on Earth.

Iwaizumi excused himself during lunch- seeing Oikawa drag Nakano into his lap despite her playful protests was too much for him. Exhausted, he found himself in the bathroom stall.

He knew Oikawa would be angry at him later. It was very clear that he was wary- and to some extent, hateful- of Nakano. Though his actions gave him satisfaction then, hearing his friend's complaints now made him feel worse.

"I'm sorry."

The line was silent for a few seconds before Oikawa replied quietly, "I'm still your friend, okay?"

"Shittykawa."

He'd meant to lighten the mood, but he knew it was a mistake the moment the nickname left his mouth.

"Goodnight."