Prologue: Seven Years Ago

Note: This happened six years ago, when Marla just (finally, at almost 29 and after after 48 years! hehe) finished college and was planning on post graduate studies and Rafa just passed the bar. This could set the mood for their would-be first meeting, as both couldn’t quite forget the person they kissed that early summer night. So imagine their surprise when they finally meet again. Rafa wouldn’t tell her about it, and Marla would try to make herself believe Rafa isn’t that guy. Anyway, we’ll figure out how the rest of the story goes in the next posts. For the meantime, read on.

“Siguro mas madaling paniwalaan na hindi ka niya mahal, kaya ka nya iniwan. She never really loved you that’s why it was easy for her to grab that opportunity to pursue a career abroad. Pero isipin mo na lang kung ikaw ang nasa lugar nya, sa tingin mo ganun na lang kadali ang mag-decide?” the woman looked straight into his eyes before she downed what was left on her beer bottle.

Rafa stared at the woman beside her. Her eyelids were drooping but she kept on taking swigs from her beer. Her voice was slightly raised as if she cannot hear herself speak, and despite having had too much alcohol, she still spke clearly, she hasn’t even slurred her words. The only indication that she probably had too much to drink was her flushed cheeks, her hooded eyes, and the alcohol-induced boldness that was the reason why they were sharing a couch now. She did not look like she was out to pick up some guy. She wore white tank top under a pink hoodie, torn jeans and sneakers – a stark contrast to what every other woman in the room who were all dressed to impress. They are inside Artiste, an art gallery cum rock club located in oen of the quaint, quiet residential streets of Cubao.

They were sharing a couch, while around them were students or young professionals who were either drinking, talking or dancing to whatever song was blasting from the speakers. Others were singing along. A two hour set from a UP based rock band just wrapped up but instead of people leaving, more just kept coming in.

Everybody looked happy and ready to party til dawn. While he was there only because it was the unlikeliest place he was expevted to be seen... for the past two years, at least.  Ever since he began dating radio jock and ramp model Zoey Andrada, he was often seen in upscale bars and clubs mostly in Makati or BGC.

He loved Zoey, so much that he has been planning on proposing to her for the past several months. They have been together for two and a half years.. His family loved her. The past years in law school had been great for him. Law school was toxic but knowing she’s around was enough to keep him inspired. He planned to propose the day after his oath-taking in May. He is twenty-eight and he thought he is ready enough to make that big leap towards marriage. Maybe in a year or so. He will soon start as a juniopr associate in one of the country's biggest law firms and was hoping that in two years, he would be starting a family as well. That is, until she told him the news.

An ooportunity of a lifetime came, and Zoey simply couldn’t let it pass. And as much as she loved him, she says, she just doesn’t think it’s enough for her to give up a once-in-a-lifetime chance like that. A modelling career with a top agency in New York. Who would pass up an offer like that? “And anyway,” Zoey said, You’re about to start your legal career. It’s been a wonderful 2 and a half years. I hate to leave the country, and you. But i just can’t let this thing go. You know I have longed for this. This is my dream.”

Those cold, distant, cruel words still haunt him, taunting him wherever he goes. And in each of those times he would hear those words spoken all over again, they felt like stabs aimed straight to his heart.

Zoey was his life. And now she’s gone.

It’s been 3 days since. He never even knew what day and time she was supposed to leave. She just called at 5 am one morning and was already standing on line to the check in counter of Delta Air.” I’m going, Rafa. You be good. Take care.”