Marla meets Rafa... Again.

Opulence. Affluence. Abundance. Those words and all their synonyms could very well describe the sights that Marla has been witnessing since the chauffeured SUV entered the simple but elegant entrance of that quiet, exclusive subdivision in Quezon City. It was said to be the Forbes Park of the north, and true enough, all she could see were huge, beautiful houses which all looked straight out of the Architecture Digest. Sure she has stayed in a place that could almost rival the ones she’s seeing here but she hasn’t seen so many mansions all in one place! There wasn’t any bump in the road. No yaya with a stroller or kids in skateboards in sight. It was as if each house owner has their own private world.

“”Ito ba ang naghihirap na Pilipinas?” she thought to herself as she pressed her face close to the window, checking out a house that resembled an old Spanish villa.

“Ang mayayaman talaga, walang magawa sa pera. Mukhang class-A naman yung mga materials na ginamit pero trying hard pagmukhaing sinauna ang bahay. Sus.” She shook her head.

“Nandito na po tayo, Miss Marla.” The driver broke into her thoughts, as they entered the huge, intricately designed tall gates made with wrought iron. She blinked and nearly gasped when she realized they were entering the property where the very same villa she was shaking her head at earlier, stood majestically.

Inokray ko pa, dito pa pala nakatira si Congressman.” She winced. She made a mental note to keep her opinions at bay when she meets Congressman Rafael Luis Elizalde, the newest addition to the lower house, and one of the most talked-about, as he was also a celebrated lawyer who handled administrative cases against some high profile officials years ago. Sometimes, she wished she wasn’t so observant and opinionated because they often lead to he reither catching the ire of people she’s not supposed to offend. Congressman Elizalde is an important client, potentially one that could help her fulfill an obligation and finally move on and live the kind of life that she wants – quiet, peaceful and guilt-free.

She quickly checked her face in a compact mirror, applied face powder and lip gloss, made a face at her reflection then placed them back on her glossy black clutch. She opened the door and quickly stepped out of the car even before the driver could help her. “Ayos lang yun, manong. Hindi naman ako ang amo mo.” She said to the driver who simply scratched his head. He lead her to the main door of the grand house where a woman, probably in her late fifties or early sixties, was waiting. She wore a simple floral blouse and dark slacks. Her mind just started wondering if she was some sort of a mayordoma when she heard the driver refer to her as Nanay Salve. “Yaya po sya ni Congressman.” The driver informed her.

“Yaya? Ilang taon na ba si Congressman?” she couldn’t help but ask the old lady. She raised a brow but then she smiled. Thirty-five, she said, with a twinkle in her eyes. But its not like I still give him baths or powder his back, Yaya Salve added. Wow, cool Yaya, she thought, and so she took the old lady’s hand, bent a little, and brought the hand to her forehead. “Mano po, Nanay Salve.”

Nanay Salve looked surprised at her gesture, but she seemed to like it. “Ngayon lang may nagmano uli sa akin sa bahay na ito, bukod kay Rafa.” She said as she lead her to the grand staircase. “Sa library mo sya hihintayin, doon na lang din ako magpapahatid ng makakain mo. Ano ba ang iniinom mo? Kape, tsaa, juice?”

“Juice na lang po.” She said as they walked up the stairs that reminds her of those where debutantes make their grand entrances. They reached the second floor that had a tastefully designed yet homey living area. To its left was a hallway where there were probably five doors on each side. “Langya, parang hotel lang.” Again, she thought as Nanay Salve took out a set of keys from her pocket and opened the first door on the right.