Chapter 4: Taken

Fun fact, I don't write angst. I tried once and it turned into sarcasm.
Now watch me talk about relationships as if I've had one.

UPDATED CONTENT WARNING: DREAM'S EX. see endnotes for disclaimer

==================

"Well at least you can walk around on your own now." George began, trying to lighten the mood. He'd taken the love curse pretty seriously, as he was always concerned for Dreams's safety, but he'd never imagined it'd get as serious as dismemberment.

Dream was understandably quiet. The folds of his cloak drooped off his tall figure, giving him a wilted appearance. "Yeah, but for how long?" he finally said, straightening. "Bad only managed to slow the curse down, not stop it entirely." He grabbed George's hand and began striding back to the main street, urgency fueling his steps. "I don't know how long I have until it starts again."

George smiled at his friend's fierce determination. Dream was never one to give up, even against insurmountable odds. It's what made him win, time and time again, when even George had given up. He felt his friend's spirit rise a bit more when they reached the busy street and no one so much as glanced in his direction. His shoulders straightened and he cut through the crowd effortlessly (something George had struggled at earlier), using his height to his advantage. They reached an intersection and Dream immediately took a left.

"Uhhhh... Dream?" Warning signs suddenly flashed in his head. Their loft was in the south of town, not the north. "Where're we going?" He had an inkling suspicion of where, and it was not good.

"To see Sam." the answer came through gritted teeth. Not good not good.

"Sam? Your...ex?" George ran slightly in front of him, looking at him in concern. He felt his own heart breaking, but he pushed it aside for the sake of his friend. "You think that's a good idea?"

Dream flung his hands into the air. "I don't know! Got any better ideas?"

He did but...it couldn't possibly end well. George settled for shaking his head. "Dream, you can't possibly still think that she loves you, right?"

"Maybe!" he said defensively, before falling into a more resigned tone "maybe..."

George pushed a hand against his chest, stopping him.

"What the heck Geo-" his protests were instantly cut off by the intensity of his friend's expression.

George's brown eyes were steely behind his glasses as he leveled his gaze at him. "Dream, you need to promise me that this won't hurt you even more. The last thing you need is to have your heart broken again." Nevermind my own.

"I'll be fine, George." he tried to shrug his hand off.

"Fine?" George smirked, giving his friend a sideways glance. "Cause last time I remember a certain someone going silent for almost an entire day before suddenly bursting into tears the moment I finally asked you what was wrong."

"It was all a misunderstanding!" Dream pushed past him and continued on his path.

"Oh, just a 'misunderstanding'?" George mocked, a burning anger fueling his words, "She cheated on you!"

"Then I should have been better!" he yelled, his voice raw with regret.

No, you deserve better.

George rolled his eyes. "Dream, Bad said the curse will only be broken if you find someone who loves you back, not just someone you love."

"It can't hurt to try." he said determinedly.