TIE fighting :) // kylo ren

Being Ren's apprentice was equal parts terrifying and exciting. On one hand, you had the honor of training under the best of the best and getting in on the "behind the scenes" stuff with the First Order. On the other hand, you had to deal with your master's lack of patience and occasional temper tantrums. Kylo Ren was never exactly known for keeping his cool, so you did everything you could to avoid being a victim to his fits of rage.

The best word to describe this experience so far? Stressful. Absolutely stressful. But you didn't have time to reflect on the stress that is interacting with Kylo Ren because something far more stressful was happening this very moment.

The Resistance had launched a surprise attack on the Finalizer, so there was no time to waste. Kylo had immediately rushed off to the nearest ship, a TIE fighter, and expected you to follow. The two of you sat in the small ship back to back, you barely buckling in before Ren took off. With Kylo piloting, that meant you were a gunner. You felt panic rush through your veins. You had barely shot in any ship, much less a TIE fighter.

Kylo could sense your unease and sighed in frustration. "Goddamn, I hate how he can sense my thoughts." You thought. (He heard that too.)

Ren took a deep breath, trying not to lash out as he had a tendency to do, and quickly explained all of the controls. You blinked, trying to take in everything he said, also trying to remember the last time he had been this patient with you. You repeated his instructions incessantly in your mind, nodding to yourself as you gripped each thing he mentioned. You could do this. Simple.

With ships whirring past you and the sound of explosions everywhere, you took back what you just said. This was not simple. Not simple at ALL.

Kylo sped past First Order ships which were getting shot down, dodging blasts left and right as you froze, unable to comprehend what you were to do. That was until you heard a familiar yell right in your ears.

"Y/N, are you hearing me? Take the shot, NOW!" he yelled, speeding ahead of a rebel ship which was right on your tail. You used the sight on your right to aim, hand on the trigger, and shot.

Boom. The explosion of red and orange was right in front of your eyes, debris from the ship you just shot down flying out of your line of sight. Your mouth was agape, and you laughed. You let out the most high-pitched, excited little giggle, a noise foreign to your own ears. Kylo kept flying as you aimed and shot at more ships, nailing them and even shooting some down. All the while, you continued to giggle to yourself and even let out a little celebratory "woo!" here and there, not thinking about the man you were sitting back to back with.

Then you heard it. It was faint, hard to hear over the sound of Resistance pilots retreating all around you, but you heard it. A laugh. Well, it was more like a tiny little exhale, but you knew what it really was. You had just heard the ever-so-serious Kylo Ren laugh. You went silent, smile bright on your face. You took a glance over your shoulder at the man, finding him doing the exact same thing. Your smile widened when you saw his slightly pink cheeks as he immediately turned around and cleared his throat to break the sudden silence in the TIE fighter.

"Was that..." you started, a smirk on your face. "...what I think it was, Master Ren?"

"I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean," he replied, his voice completely steady and monotone.

"I know that was a laugh." You smiled, exhaling a small laugh yourself. He took a long pause, and you started to think you were being too casual, that he would throw another fit for no reason as he often did.

"Your joy is infectious," is all he said, just as monotone and nonchalant as he usually was. You could feel your cheeks burning, a little smile becoming permanent on your face as he landed the TIE fighter back on the Finalizer.

From this point on, you made it a point to be more joyful, letting out your laughs and smiles freely. Every so often, you'd glance at Kylo's face after you had let out a little giggle, seeing a rose color dust his cheeks ever-so-slightly and his usually stoic face break out into the tiniest trace of a smile. This only made your smile brighter.

— — — —
feel free to request !!

~ cee ~