nightmares // kylo ren

(possible TW- night terrors/reoccurring nightmares??)

The warmth you feel from Kylo besides you vanishes as soon as you doze off. Alone in this wasteland, you're helpless. You're exhausted. You're cold, freezing. You shiver, painfully aware of exactly where you are. You've seen this place before. You've seen this dream before.

You remember the way it feels like you're trapped with nowhere to go. You can feel the ice cold snow suffocating you as you try to scream. There's no one there to come to your rescue. The First Order can't help you. Kylo can't help you. No one can help you. You can't even help yourself. There's nothing you can do, your legs flailing as you sink deeper. All you can really do is accept your fate, embrace the cold that's slowly swallowing your entire being. You shake, putting up a fight until your eyes open and air returns to your lungs.

This nightmare has become a common occurrence for you as of late. Something completely out of your control even if it is in your own mind. The idea that something this agonizing, this painful and inescapable and detrimental to your health was your own creation terrifies you.

It comes and it goes. Sometimes, you'll go nightmare free for months, but then it pops up again, even worse than before. This dream has occurred multiple nights in a row for the past week and, each time, you sink deeper and deeper into the snow. Each time, you have to fight harder against the numbness which takes over your every limb. Your greatest fear is that one day you won't fight it, that you'll be so completely lost, numb, frozen that you won't be able to.

Kylo is rarely around when it's time to sleep, always too restless to take a break for a moment and let his mind rest. He'll usually slip into bed next to you for a quick power nap right before you get up to start your day. That's why a night like tonight was rare. He had finally let himself rest and lay with you, putting his mind at ease.

Feeling your man besides you as you drifted off for once made you inexplicably happy. But the nightmare is relentless.

It's a part of your routine to wake up after your nightmare late in the night, get out of bed, take a short walk to clear your head, and return to bed to sleep for a couple more hours. This interrupted sleeping pattern made you exhausted at first, but now it's like your body is used to it. When you woke up with a gasp, you turned your body to face Kylo. He had never looked so peaceful, sleeping like that. Trying not to disrupt the sleep he so badly needed, you lifted the covers slightly and sliding yourself out of bed quietly. Throwing on a robe and your slip on shoes, you took one last glance at Kylo's sleeping form before stepping out of your shared quarters to calm your nerves and tire yourself out.

Even in his sleep, Kylo remained as vigilant as ever. That's why the sudden loss of your presence was enough to wake him up. Still groggy with sleep, he squinted at the clock, wondering if it was morning already. He was shocked to find it was only 3am. He immediately got up, not wasting time to see if you had taken anything with you. This paranoia that someone had taken you, had hurt you without him knowing made him rush out of your quarters without a second thought. There was no time for him to put on a jacket or fix his tousled hair.

The sight of the Supreme Leader barreling down the hall, looking disheveled with his lightsaber gripped tightly in his right hand, was enough to startle the stormtroopers making their nightly rounds. They stood at attention as soon as he looked their way.

"Where is she?" were the only words Kylo could spit out, the fear hidden behind his dark eyes.

"The Empress went to take her nightly walk a few minutes ago, Supreme Leader," one of the troopers stuttered out. Nightly walk. Kylo furrowed his brows, looking down momentarily, until he felt your presence nearing. He looks up to see you, as elegant as ever. The sight of you in your robe and that soft face of yours looking back at him allowed him to let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. He made his way towards you as you walked over, a worried expression on your face.

"What's wrong, my love?" You asked, your hands reaching to cup his face gently. He looked down at you, stoic as ever. His eyes met yours as he exhaled slowly.

"You take nightly walks?" He asked quietly. You gave him a little smile, dropping your hands to grab one of his, taking him back to the privacy of your room. You sat him down on the bed, taking a breath before telling him. You told him about all of it. The walks to clear your head. The nightmare. The snow. The sinking. The fear. The two of you were silent as you had finished.

Kylo Ren is a man of little words. That's why his actions speak volumes.

All he did was pull back the covers, silently urging you to get back in bed. You laid down as he draped the blankets over you, sliding in beside you and holding you close.

You slept better than you had in months.

-- -- -- --

alright cool lololol