seventeen

Blaise Zabini was getting tired as time passed by. He was tired staring at the two Gryffindors, huddling over a flat-out enormous book that no one seemed to ever read.

He leaned back in his seat, yawning. God, he was so exhausted.

He watched as Granger snapped her fingers, startling a very sleepy Ron. She whispered something to him excitedly then scribbled on a piece of parchment with a quill.

Her frantic scribble was long enough that Ron looked around, craning his sore neck as he did so. Upon locking eyes with Blaise, he gave him a tiny wave.

He waved back. Ron didn't seem to catch on Blaise's intention there.

Blaise mouthed, 'the hell are you two doing?'

Ron scowled then replied, 'No idea.'

Blaise and Ron got along pretty well, much to everyone's surprise. He thought Ron was pretty awesome to hang around with. Granger, though? Not so much. Granger was more serious, more cocky. She reminded him of a sensible female version of Draco.

He adored her determination towards her studies, though. Her drive was insane. He would be disappointed if she doesn't earn a spot in the ministry.

He also fancied her and Ron's relationship. Even though they didn't announce officially, something was clearly happening and Blaise was certain neither of them noticed. Hermione might be bright, but she wasn't too bright when it comes to her feelings.

Blaise was staring intensely at the brunette as he thought all this, maybe a little bit too intense that when she finished her scribble, she met his gaze and glared.

To be glared by Hermione Granger was terrifying. He was often glared by a lot of girls but no one could beat Granger's. Also Daphne's glares. God, those sent chills down his spine.

Lily, his other close friend, wasn't good with glares, she's good with words. Her sharp tongue was something he envied. And Pansy...

Pansy was good at both.

He quickly looked at his left, averting his gaze. As he did so, a girl emerged from the shelves and shot a dirty look at him.

Why were girls always glaring at him?

Then he realised the girl wasn't just any girl. He nearly blanced in his seat, recognising the freckled face and the short blonde hair.

'Zabini, you arse,' Daphne said, nearing him. 'The hell are you doing here?'

'Oh god,' he said exasperatedly. 'What, I can't be in the library?'

'No,' she said irritably, the crease on her forehead disappearing. She looked very young. She almost looked the same when they first met each other on the train years ago.

'I've been looking for you everywhere,' she said, sliding in next to him. She aggressively pushed her bangs aside. 'You weren't in transfiguration. Where were you?'

She sound a bit tired, worn off. Blaise felt a swell of guilt.

'Well,' he started carefully, leaning towards her. 'What if I tell you those two there are up to something?'

'What, who?'

'Granger and Weasley there.'

She casted her emerald eyes ahead. Arched a delicate brow.

'Uh huh. What're they up to?'

'Suspicious business, I must say.'

'Any clues, Sherlock?'